OBD1 Questions on '95 Explorer. How do I get the codes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD1 Questions on '95 Explorer. How do I get the codes?

bigwillie77

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer XLT
Okay I finally figured it out my 95 is not OBDII it is OBD1 meaning I can just use a paper clip to get the codes from the computer right? My question is how exactly do you do that. I found the EEC Test Box next to the Power Distrubution Box, but what do I need to hook up to what to make the check engine light flash so I can get the codes? I tried doing a search but couldn't find exaclty what I was looking for. I basically just need to know how to read the codes for an OBD1 vehicle. What do I need to connect the EEC to? If someone could just give me step by step instructions on how to do this that would be great, I"m kind of new to all of this stuff. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your post..... look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum... I think it has your answer. Welcome to the website.... it is great and helpful place. come back often.

ps. The author of that thread is a fantastic help on these types of issues.

I Thought this might be a good place to ask about this. My 95 EX has the 16 pin connector under the steering column, no indications of being OBD II, the sticker on the PCM says it's EEC IV. So, what is the 16 pin connector for? Can I get any info from it and what reader do I need to do so? I've seen comments of there being and OBD I and II hybrid situation, what would that allow? Thanks.

Back