• Register Today It's free!

OBX and Torque Monster headers

JoshT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
I don't yet have a V8 swap in my 99 Ranger 4x4, but I figure it's on the horizon somewhere. Since 4.0L my engine and transmission are in good shape, I'm currently focusing on non-powertrain related maintenance and modification items. I actually have an Explorer 5.0L and 2wd 4R70W, but I need an AWD/A4WD 4R70W and transfer case as well as the other bits needed to put in a Ranger. I bought them with the intent to put in something else. So I'm not in a rush to do a swap, but I am keeping an eye out and going to put out some feelers for a good donor so I've got one when the time comes.

The point is that when the time comes I will be using headers and there seem to be two real options for the combo I'll have. Well one option and two makers since OBX is a knockoff of Torque Monster. At one time the OBX was the only option, but it appears that Bob (the OG) is back making Torque Monsters again in limited quantities.

Although harder to find these days it seems that OBX is still making these headers at around $700 a set and they are available now. You pay and they're shipped.

I just heard from someone on a Facebook swap group that they finally recieved their Torque Monsters last week, about 9 months after ordering them. I'd heard here and there that he might be making them again, but this was the first confirmation from someone recieving them recently. Apparently the guy is still terrible at communication and that 9 month wait is a hard pill to swallow.

I can either order OBX and receive them now, do a same as cash payment plan over the next several months, then hope they fit properly when ready to use them.
-or-
I can order TMs, pay now with a paypal payment plan, and hope that I recieve them in ~9 months with little or no communication from the builder.

I don't doubt that the quality of the TM is better, but I do question if it's worth the wait, the extra cost, and the concern. I'm sure that a lot of people have used the OBX with no issues, but I haven't really seen how they compare to the TMs. It's not going to be a show truck so a little rougher finish isn't a concern. I think the only issue I've read about the OBS is with flange sealing but it was from people that either never used them and were taking on the reputation of all "eBay" headers, or they were using the cheap gasketsa included. From now on I intend to use a quality Remflex exhaust gasket any where that they are available.

I swear there's a question in there somewhere, I just haven't figured out exactly what it is yet.

If I asked elsewhere they'd just say TM with no real reason aside from them being the OG, and no experience using the OBX. I figure that as the Explorer Forum there might be enough experience with both to recieve good unbiased advice. The former will likely have no recourse if they don't work when I eventually try to use them, and due to the time involved the latter will likely have no recourse if I never receive them. Either way I don't want to wait until I'm ready for them to buy and then either have to wait a year, or not have them available any longer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The few people who have posted about the OBX headers they bought suggested the quality wasn't as good as what people have reported about TM units. I think the overall shape will be virtually the same, but the welds and finish I've read isn't quite as near perfect as the TM reviews.

Ultimately it came down to function and installation issues that turn me off. I have no use for a 1.5" header for any SBF, and for the hell they all seem to be to install, I can do better given the high cost to gain(lose). If they were only $300 I could live with the low performance for a time, until something better became possible.

I recall fairly well the many old Fox Mustang 302's that had equal length headers installed. The magazines showed many examples of them, they were wild beautiful looking, and yes like the TM's, 1.5" and filled the space next to the engine. Those people also reported trouble to install, but not nearly what Explorer owners deal with. Those equal length shorty headers for Fox Mustangs were 1.5", and more than one brand made them. I don't remember the cost, but I did help a friend install a set on his 1993 Mustang LX convertible. I helped and installed the AOD shift kit in it, and he loved that car, though it was an early one of 10+ he's owned since(buys and sells often on a whim etc). Later I helped him install a long tube set of 1.75" headers onto a 1995 Mustang GT, and he wrecked that one(we tried and couldn't get the headers off(car was totaled and the insurance company got it)).

I would wait on the headers for a while, everything is slow to get right now, so the TM is not really mush worse than most now. I'm waiting currently for a set of Magnum 500 wheels, two ordered last June, two in September from Summit; all now have an ETA of late February.

I placed an order with Robert @ TM in early October '22, have exactly one email correspondence and then radio silence. I've emailed several times and called as well, but the "mailbox is full." Since the transaction was conducted via Paypal, I've got until March to get a full refund. My new engine isn't quite out of the machine shop yet, but it does have me wondering what I will do. I wouldn't be skeptical if I could at least get an email or reach him by phone, but that's not the case.

I placed an order with Robert @ TM in early October '22, have exactly one email correspondence and then radio silence. I've emailed several times and called as well, but the "mailbox is full." Since the transaction was conducted via Paypal, I've got until March to get a full refund. My new engine isn't quite out of the machine shop yet, but it does have me wondering what I will do. I wouldn't be skeptical if I could at least get an email or reach him by phone, but that's not the case.
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a set at some point soon and I've been trying to track down contact info to avoid being in the dark with such a long lead time. If Rob is making them again, then that debunks the theory that Al's Headers has the TM business now, which is who I have been trying to track down this whole time...

What kind of correspondence was it?

The correspondence was only over email.

I think I'm just going to wait and defer the installation of the upgraded diameter exhaust until the TM headers show up. This'll give the engine an opportunity to break in using the current exhaust setup (including stock exhaust manifolds) and is easily addressed later anyway.

they will show up

OBX / Mazimizer not bad actually, not as good as TMH not the same jett hot coating, but still a good option

Only recommendation I have if you go with OBX is to have a machine shop check the mounting surface. The pair I got wasn't straight and would not seal to the heads, getting them decked solved that problem.

Have them decked is good idea
Can check trueness on a glass table
Remflex gaskets take care of the rest

Only recommendation I have if you go with OBX is to have a machine shop check the mounting surface. The pair I got wasn't straight and would not seal to the heads, getting them decked solved that problem.

I'll keep that in mind.

Have them decked is good idea
Can check trueness on a glass table
Remflex gaskets take care of the rest

After using them to fix exhaust leaks on the FE in my 68 F-100, Remflex is the only thing I intend to buy if they are an option for what I'm working on. They might cost a little more, but man do they seal.

I actually had a moment of weakness and ordered a set of the OBX/Maximizer headers last week. I intend to test fit them on a 5.0 that I have in the next few days. Still going to be some time before I am ready to do the engine swap, but atleast I have this part of it squared away.

The obx headers have gotten better they should fit with little issue however the price went way up too
Tmh are still a better product

Obx are what now $800? Tmh are about $1050

Yes, I think that the OBX are around 800 now. I purchased them through the Walmart marketplace, they were "on sale" for around $650. After taxes and shipping it came out to around $750.

Tmh are still a better product

I believe it. If the TMH business model were better I would have bought those. I disagree with his service and not willing to support it. If he would que customers, take payment closer to build date, and make an effort at staying in contact I'd have 100% gotten in que and waited my turn to hand over my money.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that he needs to have the money a little in advance to procure materials and ensure that he isn't building product that won't be sold. Being a small side buisness, I can understand the need to operate that way. It doesn't take him 9 months (number I heard recently) to build a set of headers. His back log might be that long, but not his production time.

More importantly take a few minutes to respond to customers. It doesn't even have to be personal communications, a mass email letting them know what's up and that you're alive and working on it would would be a lot. If a potential customer writes inquiring if you are back making them atleast respond with a yes or no. I personally did that 4 months ago and never got a reply.

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox now.

Yes, I think that the OBX are around 800 now. I purchased them through the Walmart marketplace, they were "on sale" for around $650. After taxes and shipping it came out to around $750.

I believe it. If the TMH business model were better I would have bought those. I disagree with his service and not willing to support it. If he would que customers, take payment closer to build date, and make an effort at staying in contact I'd have 100% gotten in que and waited my turn to hand over my money.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that he needs to have the money a little in advance to procure materials and ensure that he isn't building product that won't be sold. Being a small side buisness, I can understand the need to operate that way. It doesn't take him 9 months (number I heard recently) to build a set of headers. His back log might be that long, but not his production time.

More importantly take a few minutes to respond to customers. It doesn't even have to be personal communications, a mass email letting them know what's up and that you're alive and working on it would would be a lot. If a potential customer writes inquiring if you are back making them atleast respond with a yes or no. I personally did that 4 months ago and never got a reply.

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox now.
You think you could give me a good link for those OBX headers? I have my 347 swap sitting on the engine stand about ready to go in, just need headers and waiting for my transmission to be finished!

I can't do that right now, but I can tell you where I bought them. It was from the Walmart Marketplace. I searched for OBX or Maximizer, same company, Explorer 5.0L headers.

Honestly, I may have bought the last set. I do remember a note about there not being many available when I ordered.

Yep. Out of stock at walmart now. I guess you did snag the last one

I've been having those same thoughts you did. Probably will follow suit and run with the OBX and a remflex. The huge lead time and lack of communication aren't befitting a $1000+ purchase

Agreed, however it's a sunk cost for my case at this stage. If/when they do eventually arrive at my doorstep, it'll be an impetus to revise the exhaust.

Headers are worth the wait and cost on these. They are custom made to these, thus the cost and wait.

I wish there was a 5/8" header available, but what is available is a huge upgrade from the poor stock manifolds. It's the biggest performance increase I have seen from headers alone.

Good luck getting them, took me time to see the value and pull the trigger on the price, definitely a good purchase for the 5.0 X.

Agreed, however it's a sunk cost for my case at this stage. If/when they do eventually arrive at my doorstep, it'll be an impetus to revise the exhaust.
Have they shown up yet? Coming up fast on a year since your TMH order... 🤞

@97Sandbox you may find this handy if you are still thinking about a set

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be very interested to know what the latest lead time is!

Back