• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

OBX header install

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
OK so I got my OBX headers on my biggest fight was with the rest of the exhaust but nothing a heel bar couldn't help with. Driver side went in no problems passenger side to more effort but I did not have to pull the engine mount. Now remember I'm an auto tech so I have a box full of tools that many won't have. My biggest recommendation is on the back two on passenger side is to get the front bolts in before you do any other bolts. I really think one thing that helped me was my 2" body lift.

IMG_20170310_175418.jpg

IMG_20170310_175408.jpg

There is no clearance issues or grinding on head everything fit with no contact.

I can definitely feel a difference and see it in acceleration.

IMG_20170310_175408.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Centaurus5.0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Nice! Thanks for posting.

I've heard but not checked that later year 5.0l explorer engines are mounted a bit more rearward than the 96-97's. Do you think the #7 primary would contact the firewall if it was set back 1/2-3/4"? Sufficient clearance between the AC box?

**Edit**

Doh! Just noticed you have a 2" lift (dont know how I missed that). I can see how that would definately make the install easier.

I'm happy to hear they worked out for you.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Nice! Thanks for posting.

I've heard but not checked that later year 5.0l explorer engines are mounted a bit more rearward than the 96-97's. Do you think the #7 primary would contact the firewall if it was set back 1/2-3/4"? Sufficient clearance between the AC box?

**Edit**

Doh! Just noticed you have a 2" lift (dont know how I missed that). I can see how that would definately make the install easier.

I'm happy to hear they worked out for you.
Nah I think everything would be fine 2" lift or not, I just think it helped on the install.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Yeah no problem, I know a few have gotten but never said how they fit. I was quite pleased with the way the fit and no grinding on heads or anything.

Centaurus5.0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Grinding is only needed when using certain aftermarket aluminum heads. fyi

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Ahhh OK thanks for the info, I can say these fit fine I'll get pics of the booster and all. I think even without the lift it wouldn't hit.

Centaurus5.0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Coo

If they did fix the fitment and egr issues, then they would be deal for $300-$400.

When I see someone selling already PITA to install, uncoated, stolen design Chicom made headers that knowingly don't fit correctly for $500+, my righteous indignation can get the better of me.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Coo

If they did fix the fitment and egr issues, then they would be deal for $300-$400.

When I see someone selling already PITA to install, uncoated, stolen design Chicom made headers that knowingly don't fit correctly for $500+, my righteous indignation can get the better of me.
Oh I understand, but I decided WTF and went for it. My real and only complaint on them is they could have cleaned up the inside of the tubes at the flange on the head side a bit more but was still way better than stock and took a few to do myself. But they did bolt up fine and everything sealed good.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Thanks for being the first one to show pics of them installed. I'm with Cent though, it bugs me they are a stolen copy but someone has to do it. My only concern is long-term quality.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Thanks for being the first one to show pics of them installed. I'm with Cent though, it bugs me they are a stolen copy but someone has to do it. My only concern is long-term quality.
Yeah I can understand that, I just couldn't justify $700+ and 6+ months to get the them. So I guess I'll see how long they last, surely it will be better than stock.

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0
What about gaskets ? Can you tell us what you used ? I herd the ones that come in the kit are no good and don't last long.Also what gasket did you use for the 2 piece side ?

Also are you going to protect your wires with some sleeves ?

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
What about gaskets ? Can you tell us what you used ? I herd the ones that come in the kit are no good and don't last long.Also what gasket did you use for the 2 piece side ?

Also are you going to protect your wires with some sleeves ?
I just got header gaskets from parts store, I used there gasket for the two pice. Non of my wires are close or touch but I am running a set of make your own. I went carb with GM HEI style distributor.

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
I have had mine in for a little over 2 years and haven't had any problems with them

MuscleJunkie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to "finally" install my OBX headers on Big White this week. What is the best gasket (I'm reading the ones included by OBX are not the best) to use between the block and headers? I've read some people have had leak problems by using substandard gaskets and I'd rather spend a bit more and not have to worry about it for a long time to come.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
I ordered a set of header gaskets from the parts store. Make sure they match the port size.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Odd mine didn't hit at all

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
IMG_20170316_110301.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.