OBX headers are back on ebay | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX headers are back on ebay

unfortunately don't have a choice, even been to multiple custom shops down here that do crazy builds, to see if they could fab something up and setup a group buy for others on here. Not a single one is interested once they look under the hood. Meanwhile one of those shops did a sick build and swap on friends Porsche 944 with a built LS3, but a Ford truck can't even get headers lol.

Mines just a beater I keep around, take it off road once in a while. But even with my custom exhaust it sounds ghetto inside with that manifold tick. Feel for the peeps that still drive theirs daily, that sound is annoying as hell

Someone on here said they spoke with TM and their currently building like 100 orders right now..... seems odd considering not a peep from TM or people supposedly ordering.

I called that guy out that said they are building sets and he never replied.I think he was a liar.Just more broken promises from people who don't give a ****.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called that guy out that said they are building sets and he never replied.I think he was a liar.Just more broken promises from people who don't give a ****.
I've got a daily driver that will get parted out if not bought all at once. It's got the 1" phenolic spacer. TMH's, 1.7 fI'll roller rockers, high flow cats, true dual Magnaflow 2.5"in/out muffler wit crossflow out the corners. The muffler and tails are 2 months old. Also, it has 2 year old BFG All terrains with over 80% tread left. If I don't get a buyer for the whole thing all at once. i will start chop chop. Piece it out. I drive it every day. Will be driving it until I get my new ride this week or next. Any interest?

Whoa, hey man. That is what the guy told me, I don't personally know him but that is what he said to me via text. I agree with everyone here that he is not very responsive since it took me months to get that out of him.
But still not a reason to call me a liar even if you are angry with him. You hurt my feel bads

I've got a daily driver that will get parted out if not bought all at once. It's got the 1" phenolic spacer. TMH's, 1.7 fI'll roller rockers, high flow cats, true dual Magnaflow 2.5"in/out muffler wit crossflow out the corners. The muffler and tails are 2 months old. Also, it has 2 year old BFG All terrains with over 80% tread left. If I don't get a buyer for the whole thing all at once. i will start chop chop. Piece it out. I drive it every day. Will be driving it until I get my new ride this week or next. Any interest?

Honestly the only thing i would be interested are the headers maybe the spacer.Your 97 headers are a bit different then my 98 style i think they would require me to modify them to fit and i am not really up to that.What does that spacer do tho ?

I think you dont have a egr tube on your 97 headers and i need that.I think their are some other differences to ?

Whoa, hey man. That is what the guy told me, I don't personally know him but that is what he said to me via text. I agree with everyone here that he is not very responsive since it took me months to get that out of him.
But still not a reason to call me a liar even if you are angry with him. You hurt my feel bads

You didin't reply to me when i asked you to prove yourself.You know that THM headers are a VERY TOUCHY subject on here and its best not to mess with peoples emotions.

You didin't reply to me when i asked you to prove yourself.You know that THM headers are a VERY TOUCHY subject on here and its best not to mess with peoples emotions.

Man your not kidding, I was hoping someone would find it helpful but now I see that his lack of not following through has really left every one here jaded. Sorry, I got excited also when he said that he was making more but it's not probably going to happen.

I have had my obx headers on now for exactly one year. They have held up just fine with the New England winter. No clearance issues other than the egr tube it come with is useless it's about an inch short have to reshape the stock one. The headers sound very nice with my setup. I have true dual magna flow with 2 high flow cats. Installation is a ***** !!!!!!!

Honestly the only thing i would be interested are the headers maybe the spacer.Your 97 headers are a bit different then my 98 style i think they would require me to modify them to fit and i am not really up to that.What does that spacer do tho ?

I think you dont have a egr tube on your 97 headers and i need that.I think their are some other differences to ?
Yes I do have an egr tube.the spacer gives you more runner for more air and you can really feel the pull from about 2,000 rpms up when getting up to highway speed

Yes I do have an egr tube.the spacer gives you more runner for more air and you can really feel the pull from about 2,000 rpms up when getting up to highway speed

I thought the 96- 97's had some differences from the 98+ ? When i inquired a couple years ago about TM's the guy said he had 2 different models.My 98+ model was more costly then the 96-97's.I thought 96-97 didn't have the egr tube or something.There was something different about the older 96-97's that wouldnt work on mine.Maybe it was something about how my heads are GT40p and yours are the GT40's.I think that was it.

I have had my obx headers on now for exactly one year. They have held up just fine with the New England winter. No clearance issues other than the egr tube it come with is useless it's about an inch short have to reshape the stock one. The headers sound very nice with my setup. I have true dual magna flow with 2 high flow cats. Installation is a ***** !!!!!!!

Any power gains you can notice ? Like are they worth it ?

I thought the 96- 97's had some differences from the 98+ ? When i inquired a couple years ago about TM's the guy said he had 2 different models.My 98+ model was more costly then the 96-97's.I thought 96-97 didn't have the egr tube or something.There was something different about the older 96-97's that wouldnt work on mine.Maybe it was something about how my heads are GT40p and yours are the GT40's.I think that was it.

He (Explorer Junky) has GT40P heads just like the 98-01's. The GT40 heads only came on 96's and early 97's. So if he has the EGR pipe, then he's got the GT40P heads too.

I'm surprised every time I look at these header threads. I keep thinking the interest is dropping given the age of these 96-01 trucks.

Clearly the headers are awful, both TM and OBX are hell to install and way too expensive, plus hard to get. If the interest was really still there, someone should by now have gotten a builder to make a plain and simple log manifold. Anyone with decent welding skills could make them, and they would be very easy to install.

The factory headers are horrible in design, and the airflow is terrible, thus any header is way better. So a simple log manifold would easily improve power over stock manifolds, and the TM's are too small(1.5" is way too small for a 5000rpm small block).

Someone near a business which makes headers should get them to make a simple manifold, 1 5/8" at least. I'll be making something for myself, but I don't weld yet. But mine will be intended for a bigger cat pipe, 2.5 or 3" if I can make it fit. And I'll move the collectors as needed, and use a V-band clamp instead of the ball connections(2 1/8" factory hole). So mine won't be applicable to stock trucks(a bolt on), but I may contact a business to see if they'd consider copying it. There's so much wrong with the factory exhaust, it's not easy or feasible for a business to build something and expect a lot of demand for a 17-22 year old vehicle. That's been the draw of the TM headers, they replace a stock manifold even though they are hell to buy and install.

He (Explorer Junky) has GT40P heads just like the 98-01's. The GT40 heads only came on 96's and early 97's. So if he has the EGR pipe, then he's got the GT40P heads too.

I'm surprised every time I look at these header threads. I keep thinking the interest is dropping given the age of these 96-01 trucks.

Clearly the headers are awful, both TM and OBX are hell to install and way too expensive, plus hard to get. If the interest was really still there, someone should by now have gotten a builder to make a plain and simple log manifold. Anyone with decent welding skills could make them, and they would be very easy to install.

The factory headers are horrible in design, and the airflow is terrible, thus any header is way better. So a simple log manifold would easily improve power over stock manifolds, and the TM's are too small(1.5" is way too small for a 5000rpm small block).

Someone near a business which makes headers should get them to make a simple manifold, 1 5/8" at least. I'll be making something for myself, but I don't weld yet. But mine will be intended for a bigger cat pipe, 2.5 or 3" if I can make it fit. And I'll move the collectors as needed, and use a V-band clamp instead of the ball connections(2 1/8" factory hole). So mine won't be applicable to stock trucks(a bolt on), but I may contact a business to see if they'd consider copying it. There's so much wrong with the factory exhaust, it's not easy or feasible for a business to build something and expect a lot of demand for a 17-22 year old vehicle. That's been the draw of the TM headers, they replace a stock manifold even though they are hell to buy and install.
I tried with custom build shops here in South FL, won't even attempt a log setup when I brought that up, honestly nobody wants to bother once they put it on lift and check. One shop even does builds for drag cars, sick header work amongst others things, they were like nope.

I tried with custom build shops here in South FL, won't even attempt a log setup when I brought that up, honestly nobody wants to bother once they put it on lift and check. One shop even does builds for drag cars, sick header work amongst others things, they were like nope.

Yes it does look bad there at first glance. There is enough space though for a log manifold, but the steering shaft most likely has to be removed to install the left. Minor stuff compared to the ball of snakes that is a header there.

Truly though fabricating headers or manifolds is usually about placing pieces(flange/pipe) in place and tacking them. The lack of space in all directions does make it hell to get to anything there with any welder. That's most likely what shops think when asked, they are used to test fitting dozens of times and spot welding on the vehicle over and over.

It's not simple to remove the number of parts in the way on a 302 Explorer to get in there easily. I think shops see a lot of disassembly just to be able to begin work fabricating, unlike most vehicles. Most of us owners are used to working on these odd things often. A shop that does custom work will resist working on such a project, they like easy access and fast turn around, which makes easy fast profit.

This is true, one of the first things I noticed was the pull from about 2000 RPMs. I was like "this feels like a turbo making boost!" haha

I got a "new" 2000 explorer and thus will be selling my '98 with the OBX headers. If the install wasnt such a ***** id swap em out but damn.....

My shop was like dont ever bring us these headers again. hahaha

People need to stop the wishful thinking and realize this is what we've got. Take it or leave it, this is the only available aftermarket header for this truck if you want something now. Its an excellent upgrade over the terrible manifolds and you instantly realize it. If you can do the labor yourself id say go for it otherwise dont even bother.

I sent you a PM about the headers and spacer.Send me a message and i can give you my phone number

So I bit the bullet and bought a set of OBX header. I tried to fit it to a set of trick flows that I have kicking around and the joint where the tubes go into the collector hits the side of the head. I am sure I can grind on the head to make it fit but has anyone else had any issues?

So I bit the bullet and bought a set of OBX header. I tried to fit it to a set of trick flows that I have kicking around and the joint where the tubes go into the collector hits the side of the head. I am sure I can grind on the head to make it fit but has anyone else had any issues?

Yes,
I ground my head. I had to in a few places.

I got a set today will see how they work out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the seller is price gouging now. 600$ plus shipping.

Back