OBX headers EGR question

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
My OBX headers have been installed, everything is running great it sounds great but my check engine light just popped on and I’m reading a code p0401. I anticipated this as ive read about people running into this code after installing headers. At some point I’m going to try to splice my old EGR tube with the OBX EGR tube based on a couple other threads I’ve read through. But I was wondering if I turned my EGR off if I’d be able to pass emissions? I know in Idaho my 97 Explorer you can have two readiness tests not ready and still pass your emissions as long as the check engine light isn’t on but if I were to turn my EGR off using my SCT scan/tuner would that cause my vehicle to fail emissions? Does anyone know how that works?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what the emission limits are? for certain type of emissions NOx emissions will be reduced with EGR ON and some (can't remember what) increase.

What you can do is buy for example SCT tuner or whatever other ECU flashing program/device and turn egr system completely OFF from ecu side or find tuner and ask them to turn off the EGR (which is pretty much few second job for anyone who knows what they are doing). Note that this wont reduce your emissions, you just simply wont have the check engine light on after codes have been cleared.

Before you do (if you do) any of that, do you have place where you could have your emissions tested, so you know if your car will pass or not (with the assumption you know what the emissions limits are), there are various ways of affecting emissions of car, whether that is legal is another question. I am not telling you to break the law, but "read in between the lines"... or reinstall EGR system, this wont have any effect horsepower wise with original engine configuration.

okay hold on a second, why do you have an EGR code after installing headers?
Your 97 is it GT40 or GT40p?
I assume P since you said EGR tube.
Why didn't you install the EGR tube with the new OBX headers? Do you just need a fitting? I was under the impression the headers came with an EGR tube?

My point is you should not have an EGR code just with the addition of headers, the EGR feed tube and sample tubes should still be in place?

Do you know what the emission limits are? for certain type of emissions NOx emissions will be reduced with EGR ON and some (can't remember what) increase.

What you can do is buy for example SCT tuner or whatever other ECU flashing program/device and turn egr system completely OFF from ecu side or find tuner and ask them to turn off the EGR (which is pretty much few second job for anyone who knows what they are doing). Note that this wont reduce your emissions, you just simply wont have the check engine light on after codes have been cleared.

Before you do (if you do) any of that, do you have place where you could have your emissions tested, so you know if your car will pass or not (with the assumption you know what the emissions limits are), there are various ways of affecting emissions of car, whether that is legal is another question. I am not telling you to break the law, but "read in between the lines"... or reinstall EGR system, this wont have any effect horsepower wise with original engine configuration.
I have a sct tuner and actually did all that last night. Ultimately I’d rather have the EGR running properly but this will at least be a short term solution and no annoying check engine light. In Idaho you can have 2 “ic readiness tests” for the emissions control not ready and still pass the test as long as the CEL isn’t on and as you stated are actually passing the emissions test otherwise. It would just be nice to know if I can at least get by the state laws for the time being.

okay hold on a second, why do you have an EGR code after installing headers?
Your 97 is it GT40 or GT40p?
I assume P since you said EGR tube.
Why didn't you install the EGR tube with the new OBX headers? Do you just need a fitting? I was under the impression the headers came with an EGR tube?

My point is you should not have an EGR code just with the addition of headers, the EGR feed tube and sample tubes should still be in place?
The headers came with an EGR tube and and yes my 97 is fitted with external EGR. The problem most likely resides with the EGR tube from OBX. There is supposed to be a little orifice within the EGR tube between the two pipes for the DPFE hoses. This allows for a difference in pressure between the two DPFE tubes. If that orifice is not there then the computer will get an incorrect reading for the EGR. I’ve read a few other posts where people have had this issue and managed to essentially install the orifice into the obx tube or literally cut the two tubes and weld them together to make a working EGR pipe. If I cheap out and would’ve bought the TM’s instead I wouldn’t have this problem. I’m also contacting OBX to see if they have an update EGR tube but my hopes are limited because I don’t think they’re making headers for vehicles anymore or at least for the moment. I would contact TM and see if they’d sell me a tube but I have the feeling they won’t as my headers aren’t TM’s.

I meant OBX isn’t making headers for our Ex’s currently.

Why not just use a oem egr tube? You should be able to manipulate ( er, um, bend) it into submission if you take time-

Why not just use a oem egr tube? You should be able to manipulate ( er, um, bend) it into submission if you take time-
Thanks for the tip, I might give that a try. I’m a goldsmith and I use a laser welder all the time. It has a setting for steel but I’m not sure how well the weld will hold once I start cranking down on it, I read that you had the same issue at once point.

Thanks for the tip, I might give that a try. I’m a goldsmith and I use a laser welder all the time. It has a setting for steel but I’m not sure how well the weld will hold once I start cranking down on it, I read that you had the same issue at once point.

Yes, however I was attempting to install the egr tube to an aftermarket intake manifold with a spacer and 45 degree elbow in that case. exhaust shop was able to weld on the tubing just fine.

The factory angles, with no intake spacer, should be close enough to just bend it to fit. I used a 1/4" extension stuck inside the tubing to apply force, slowly. several fitments are key, you don't want to deform the end seal flange.

You'll need a good weld in that spot if you do attempt a graft, as the temps will exceed 1100 degrees. But there is quite a bit of material thickness.

This is possibly bit off topic, but after you take the emission test, do you get some sort of print of the measured values?

Here at the other side of the planet we have similar yearly procedure (read: annoyance) and we do get print where it says min/max and measured values. Just curious :)

This is possibly bit off topic, but after you take the emission test, do you get some sort of print of the measured values?

Here at the other side of the planet we have similar yearly procedure (read: annoyance) and we do get print where it says min/max and measured values. Just curious :)
Yeah it sounds basically the same, we also get a print out with values on it.

there are a few styles of EGR tube these days, the best one to work with is smooth no "accordion section" for lack of a better word
This one:
6952_ULTRAPOWER%20DORMAN_598111_1__ra_p.jpg

I have had much success welding up new EGR tubes to make things work on conversions
As you can see a super highly skilled and trained technician in China was able to weld this one together
You should not have any trouble making one of these work for you
Then no more code!

With the TMH you still have this odd plumbing fitting on the header and you have to bend the egr tube up to make it fit.

Do you have some pics of your situation? Curious to see what kind of corner OBX has you painted into

there are a few styles of EGR tube these days, the best one to work with is smooth no "accordion section" for lack of a better word
This one:
6952_ULTRAPOWER%20DORMAN_598111_1__ra_p.jpg

I have had much success welding up new EGR tubes to make things work on conversions
As you can see a super highly skilled and trained technician in China was able to weld this one together
You should not have any trouble making one of these work for you
Then no more code!

With the TMH you still have this odd plumbing fitting on the header and you have to bend the egr tube up to make it fit.

Do you have some pics of your situation? Curious to see what kind of corner OBX has you painted into
I’ll take some pics tomorrow and post them, I do have a smooth aftermarket EGR tube, when I bought the Ex it had the original accordion style tube that had long since cracked. The new Chinese one fit perfectly on the stock headers. It was only like $26 too, and if they’re that cheap I don’t feel too bad if I screw it up. I will try heating it and tweaking it and hopefully if I can do it.

I took my stock EGR tube and did a bit of a comparison with the OBX tube with it still on the header. They are pretty darn close, of course I won’t know until I get everything off but it doesn’t look like it’ll take a lot of manipulation to make it fit right.

That sounds like a good possibility. I have one of those kind on my Mercury. I bought three because Amazon had dropped the price to about $9, then it went back up to $50ish. The part fit well, just a hair of a bend needed. I used my large wrench to bend it, it only took a hair of a change, to better line up the top end to the EGR connection. My truck is stock though, I was worried about the aftermarket part. It fixed my leak, the goal.

Back