Occasional Oil Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Occasional Oil Light

Reaction score
City, State
Federalsburg MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
The check oil light on my Explorer comes on every so often. I have a 92 with the 4.0 V6. I check the oil a couple times a week and especially once the light came on I checked the oil and it read at the proper level. I don't have any engine noise indicating that oil isn't getting circulated.

Could it be a bad sensor causing the light to come on or something serious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oil level light

If you mean the light that tells you if there is oil in the pan it could be a loose wire or the sensor on the side of the oil pan is going out. Or are you referring to the engine light? The oil level light has one wire to the drivers side of the pan that acts as a ground for the light when there is enough oil in the pan, it has nothing to do with the engine oil pressure. Hope this helps.

The light actually says "check oil" because it did it today. My EX has a remote starter on it and the light seems to come on the first time I manually start truck after using the remote. If that made sense. I plan on giving it a good going over this week.

This is off from the original post but I have some other loose wires. One is in the steering wheel. Horn blows when making left turns. Pulled that fuse but lost my CC by doing that.

Think buttons to engage 4x4 are also missing wire or something. Some times they aren't lit when other dash lights are on and nothing happens when I push them.

Hoping these are my only real problems to deal with.

This is off from the original post but I have some other loose wires. One is in the steering wheel. Horn blows when making left turns. Pulled that fuse but lost my CC by doing that.
There is a stabilizer weight that is normally rubber mounted inside the steering wheel. It broke off on one of my explorers and would make contact with the horn and cause it to go off randomly when turning. It also ruined the wires for the cruise control buttons because those hang freely in the same space. If you look on the back of the steering wheel there are two screws holding the horn pad on. Take those two screws out and the horn pad will lift up but still be held on by a little plastic clip. There will be enough play to move it out of the way to get in there.

I bet you your stabilizer weight has broken free and is touching the horn and has broken your cruise control wires. I fixed it by getting a new set of cruise control buttons from a junkyard. I never replaced the weight since it doesn't really do much anyway. I haven't noticed an increase in vibration or anything.

Thanks for the info Chaos, I will look at that later today.

Back