Occasional Rough Idle issue

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
Hello,

new to the forum so thought I'd post a issue that has recently developed. This is a 2010 XLT explorer 4.0 sohc. Every once in a while after I've driven it for a while maybe 20-25 miles then park it for a short time about 15-20mins then go back to start it up I get a rough idle, doesn't stall out, then when I give it some gas then accelerate it's seems fine no lose of power or hesitations just a kind of a rough idle for a few minutes till I get back going down the road. It doesn't do it all the time just every once in awhile. Could this be a stick or dirty IAC valve ?? Don't get the service engine warning lite either.

Any suggestion where to look appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no IAC valve on the later fourth gens. I have had this happen a couple of times but it hasent happend in a few months so i never looked into it.

There is no IAC valve on the later fourth gens. I have had this happen a couple of times but it hasent happend in a few months so i never looked into it.
that's interesting I was checking a few online auto parts stores they all list a IAC for my 2010 Explorer 4.0 guess I'll need to double check again.

Just to let you know, and anyone else that may come across a similar issue, the 2010 4.0 sohc XLT does not have an idle air control (IAC) valve so that eliminate that possibility.

Change plugs, oil/oil filter, wires, distributor, check coolant for rust, etc. try some Seafoam for 100miles before changing your oil. Try to send future oil samples to Blackstone Labs. Don't forget to swap the brake fluid. A lot of people never change brake fluid. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Ball joints in good shape? Fronts are easy. Rears can be a PITA.

Nope. No IAC after 1004, I think.

Back