Ocean City trip notes (260 miles total trip) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ocean City trip notes (260 miles total trip)

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I went to Ocean City on Independence Day. MFT worked flawlessly and I'm still on 2.4 software. I didn't encounter any reboots or anything and I haven't encounter problems for about a month now. Had the rear A/C on too and tested every single A/C mode. A/C ran okay but the air didn't seem to blow very cold but it was enough to cool the cabin down.

As for MPG, I reached 23.4 - 23.6 MPG on the highway. Really surprised me since I have the tow package, 700 pounds worth of people, 400 pounds of cargo, and the A/C was on. Overall comfortable ride with the leather seats. Very quite ride and no A - Pillar rattle that people have been hearing. It also rained pretty hard but we didn't hear the rain noises that people have been hearing.

Really wonderful on the trip. I had my father drive back and I tested the passenger seats. One thing I could change on the Explorer is to have the seatbelts positioned a little higher because I miss resting my head on the seatbelt from my old Ex. The rear headrests aren't very comfortable so that's one of the things I would change.

Saw 3 other 2011 Explorers. I passed by an XLT white suede/ platinum tri coat on some long stretch of a road. Pretty nice looking color. Saw a Sterling Gray Explorer as well at OC.

A note on some things I've found out on the trip:

The thing with the blue bar (instant fuel economy reading) is highly inaccurate. I was averaging 23 MPG instantly and it said I was doing 16.1 MPG. I used the trip 1 and trip 2 and also calculated myself with how much gas I put in. Throughout the trip I averaged 21.2 MPG. I think the instant fuel economy reader needs fixing but the trip calculators are accurate.

Also, depending how much I punch the gas, the vehicle would adjust itself to keep higher RPMs and the throttle response would improve dramatically. If I punched the gas hard first, it would only require a small throttle response to get to higher RPMs. If I wanted to go back to a "fuel efficient state", I would have to slow down on the throttle and it'll go back to accelerating slowly. Found that pretty neat.

Brakes worked so well. Had to stop 45 - 0 because some car stopped all of a sudden. No noise, no vibrations, nothing.

U-Turns super well. Had to U-Turn on a small road after I pulled over to watch the fireworks.

Summary: Very comfortable ride, no rain noises, no A- Pillar rattle. The ride is so quiet you literally could fall asleep driving so you better blast some music or something. Quick brake response, quick acceleration response, no MFT issues. 23.6 MPG reached. I'm very satisfied with how the Explorer performed. I'll definitely explore the world again with this SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations on your nice trip and problem free ride.

I really love the X and want to have one. But this forum really scared me. I first thought everyone has the problem with the MFT. Looks like not the case. Then is it related to the way how it is used? Or is it simply a quality control issue that there are a lot poorly manufactured units out there? I tend to think the latter is true, considering the rain noise, A-pillar problem, fan problems, brack problems, and poor durability FOB. Ford may blow out the opportunity to accend to greatness with the 2011 Explorer. I truely believe the X is a great car and eventually Ford will work out all the porblems. But the 2011 model will be remembered as an example of something that was rushed to market and poorly orgnized. Until Ford solves all the problems, I'll hold my wallet tight.

Congratulations on your nice trip and problem free ride.

I really love the X and want to have one. But this forum really scared me. I first thought everyone has the problem with the MFT. Looks like not the case. Then is it related to the way how it is used? Or is it simply a quality control issue that there are a lot poorly manufactured units out there? I tend to think the latter is true, considering the rain noise, A-pillar problem, fan problems, brack problems, and poor durability FOB. Ford may blow out the opportunity to accend to greatness with the 2011 Explorer. I truely believe the X is a great car and eventually Ford will work out all the porblems. But the 2011 model will be remembered as an example of something that was rushed to market and poorly orgnized. Until Ford solves all the problems, I'll hold my wallet tight.

If you were to get the Explorer. I would wait for the 2012 model. I've had issues with the MFT but I guess it's because of how it's used. Ever since I changed my cellphone, the MFT stopped crashing. The reboots however, I think don't solve a thing because it'll see the problem again and just reboot again without debugging. They need to develop a better way of troubleshooting issues. Also, I think most of the MFT issues are associated with the ones that have the navigation is what I've seen. I've had issues here and there and had an APIM replaced. I have also had several other issues because mine was an early build.

But aside from that, I believe this vehicle is an amazing vehicle. Just some quality issues and I'm sure Ford should be able to fix it by the 2012 model. It's such a great vehicle once all the issues are fixed. It is definitely worth the money. If you focus on the driving aspect, it's safe, the MPG are high, high seat capacity, plenty of cargospace, looks good.

Agree 100 percent.
Onece I learn it, researched it, loved it and wanted to buy it. Compared many other options on the market, including infiniti, BMW, Acura, Audi and VW, all higher dolloars, but none have the hihg tech and safety features the X has. I know MFT is in trouble, but that is what make this car stands out, I would not buy one without it. So I'll wait. Hope Ford can fix it soon before mine and other peoples patience run out.

I have had the ex since 2/21 no major issues i have 302a pkg golden bronze with the pecan interior. Mft 2.4 little glicth here and there but none to piss me off, no pillar noise, no a/c issues, all around an awesome explorer. Yes there are some horriffic issues out there but we bought first year explorer's i have faith that ford will do good to all loyal ford explorer owners they have to to much at stake !!! The 2012 will and should not have many issues and that's when ford will fix all the 2011 issues. They have to what they have put into the explorer for the price all other's competitors all are much more $$$$ and still don't have all that ford has put into the 2011 explorer for less $$$$ so with all this said let's hope ford does what is right for all it's loyal ford buyers. If not hey class action lawsuit and they don't want that.!!! But we should keep the pressure on them and not scare people that want to buy this awesome crossover, suv. A friend of mine that own's a land rover has had more issue's that he is willing to burn his car. And buy an explorer even with the issue's that are mention!! So sorry to say but please patiance is a verture !!!!!

Back