October Colorado Run - Fall Colors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

October Colorado Run - Fall Colors

R

Rick

Original post by J:

Thanks, Ryan. I will be looking into scheduling a run in CO for "colors" so probably the
first or second weekend in October.

I will be running some trails in Salida/Buena vista are in late June with a Jeep club.
Probably Tin Cup and Hancock Passes, depending on snow load. Think these would be
nice since St. Elmo and Tincup are pretty well-preserved mining towns and would be
great for most folks, plus the area has more 14ners than any other place in CO, the hot
springs, and good inexpensive facilities. Salida or BV may be a bit easier for folks to get
to than Silverton. I also like the Creede/Lake City trails but quite an extra drive and am
thinking about Scofield Pass, but access through Crusty Butts makes it also bit of a
drive for others and the Vail side is a bit pricey. At Crusty Butts we could do both
Scofield and the loop around back to Crusty, then add Ruby Mountain which is great
and ends with an incredible hike to a cirque lake above treeline. In my free time, which
isn't much for a few days, I'll be review my CO maps and all those Pass books.

I'll
start getting dates and places together right away.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-21-99).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick, If there is anything I can do to help plan this trip just let me know. I was thinking of putting together a dutch oven dinner or bbq for those that attend.

Well my only question about this Run is why so late? I would think that snow might be coming again my October. I may be wrong so please correct me if I am wrong. Anyways I can't wait to go on this and see all the others that plan on going also. It should be loads of fun.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

Ryan, I got to thinking about it and talking to some locals and I'm shooting for the dates September 25-26. The colors should be started and less possible early hammering from a snow storm. I've got a trip to Alaska to take this week but I will work on the details on the flights. I think our best chances for a good run will be tomichi, Hancock, Tincup Passes, maybe Mt. Antero, and for a gnarly run the Iron Chest Mine.

Trace, any help you want to be will be great. I will go up a couple days early to scout some more, although I hoep to get some done in late June. I'd say a dinner would be fun. I've got a nice motel in Salida with great facilities and prices (The Woodland) in Salida in the old part of downtown near the river.

Paul, Rick, Trace, Ryan...what do you think about a 3-day rather than 2-day run "official" run? With interest high in the Midwest and Denver so close, just thought we might want to make it a really full weekend.

Also may have to split out a run for the stockers with a couple of big dogs in pursuit (Tincup) although it is so scenic everybody might want to go.

Picked a "host" motel, the Woodland in Salida. singles from $31.53 for 1 person to a 2bdrm condo for $82.71 if you bring 8 people! Old part of downtown Salida, next to Arkansas river, walking distance to everything. Only 18 units total, but they will identify an overflow place.

There is also a "10% off coupon" on line and you can find more info and make a reservation:

www.woodlandmotel.com

Hey this could happen!!! Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by j (edited 05-16-99).]

Hey guys I have a buddy with a F150 who would like to come. Does anyone here have a problem with this, if there are trails he can't do, due to the size of his rig he can ride with me.

Thanks!

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

3 days sound ok with me also. Does this Woodland Motel have ample parking for a dually truck & trailer. I will probably be trailering my Explorer out there.

Hey that sounds great to me! Mabey we could get a details page up on the main page so that everyone that is intrested can sign up, or find out more details. What trails need lifts, lockers, and winches would all be helpfull. If more people than just Trace should bring food items. What kind of items are recomended for tools, supplies. Even though most people know that they should bring certain items a printable list is sometimes helpfull. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

I'm traveling still but have all the trail descriptions done on my handheld, but can't make contact yet. Will send some pics to Rick also. Rick has some links I sent a couple of weeks back on the trails and I will add some more and I should get this all to him when I get back next week. Don't know if the Woodlands can handle a dually but they will be contacting me soon and I should be able to find out.

Three days it is! 24-25-26? Sound OK? I'm remote so somebody send me a response at peteh@ptialaska.net as well as jlobdell@flash.net and I'll try to get connected via mailstart.com if I can.

j

I've got the run details to Rick. We've set the date for Oct. 8-11, includes Columbus Day for those who can use it. He'll post it when he gets some spare time. As much time as he puts into this great web site, little is spare but you will see it soon.

I have a stock 93 Explorer. I was thinking of coming on this trip, but I don't want to hold anyone back. How tough are the trails going to be for a stocker?

I have taken a stocker over Tin Cup Pass...lots of fun, 235 tires, didn't air down. The other passes and the climb can be done by stockers, although some parts are a little rougher you do not have to be lifted to make it but you should air down. Mt. Antero, you will not want to try the last section. Only the really built rigs should try Iron Chest. But the Y to the lakes on the same trail is for stockers.

Everybody stock or otherwise will need tow hooks. If you run slightly larger tires that may be an advantage, but only by 1" or so...if you are careful you should have no problems

We go out for fun and there should be trails for everybody. No stocker run will go without Big Dogs along anyway. If anyone get's in trouble, winches and knowledge go a long way.

Jack,

I just went out to play in the hills with Barry again today. He does pretty good out there. I will try and get him all practiced up before the fall run. Dead Link Removed There should be no worries if I'm teaching him right? Dead Link Removed Actually that might be dangerous so I'd better leave well enough alone. So far all I've taught him is how to get dents. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 07-01-1999).]

Rick,

Do you plan on scouting out Iron Chest before October?

Is so I would like to join in. It would give me a good excuse to get lower gears before October. I don't know how much more my clutch will last rock crawling with 3.73's.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back