OD light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OD light flashing

RadioDoc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Today, I looked down and the Over Drive OFF light was flashing
The OD switch would still turn the OD on and off.

At the next red light, I switched the ignition off and then back on.

The OD Light quit flashing and it hasn't flashed since.

What was the flashing OD OFF light telling me ?

Doc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its shifting fine I would say you had some junk stuck in one of your solenoids. Probably time to do your fluid and filter change.

Or was a glitch. Prolly a good idea to reset PCM and do a fluid change.

Today, I looked down and the Over Drive OFF light was flashing
The OD switch would still turn the OD on and off.

At the next red light, I switched the ignition off and then back on.

The OD Light quit flashing and it hasn't flashed since.

What was the flashing OD OFF light telling me ?

Doc
The flashing light is letting you know that the computer has seen a problem with the transmission and that a code is now stored in the computers memory.

A scan tool is required to retrieve the code or codes, cheap scan tools might not be able to get the transmission codes. You should problably swing by a transmission shop and have them take a look at it.

Or was a glitch. Prolly a good idea to reset PCM and do a fluid change.

Reset the PCM? I'm assuming you mean just disconnecting the battery.

Mine ended up being a Output speed sensor issue.

When your light was flashing, was it shifting funny at all?

Reset the PCM? I'm assuming you mean just disconnecting the battery.
You assumed correctly. Removing the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes.

I wouldn't reset it, I would be curious to see what it was. Almost never is a random "glitch".

I have bought an universal OBDII Bluetooth reader ELM327 clone from eBay with some $13-14, and I use free software with my Android phone or laptop to read the codes and more.
Android has Torque (free of $5 for paid version) and Windows has free the ForScan - that's absolutely the best scan tool ever for Ford and Mazda's.

I'm with Nic...don't reset until you pull the codes. Ask me how I know.

Definitely look for codes & look into doing a fluid flush. Myself and a couple of friends have unfortunately experienced the OD light flashing on Explorer to be the signal as the end of life for the transmission. I'm not saying this is fact, and certainly hope it isn't true for your case, but just don't take it too lightly.

In my case I wound up rebuilding my transmission completely but obviously getting this looked into before the problem gets worse will leave you in a better place.

Myself and a couple of friends have unfortunately experienced the OD light flashing on Explorer to be the signal as the end of life for the transmission. I'm not saying this is fact, and certainly hope it isn't true for your case, but just don't take it too lightly.

At 267,000 miles , I don't wander too far off the path.

It's been a remarkably reliable vehicle.

I keep Mobile 1 in the engine and it just runs and runs. No oil consumption between oil changes.

I'll do a filter and flush , but I won't be disappointed if I need a rebuild after 13years.

Thanks guys.

Doc

267k miles is a respectable number.
If engine is good, I would definitely invest in rebuilding the transmission, it beats the price of a new car.

At 267,000 miles , I don't wander too far off the path.

It's been a remarkably reliable vehicle.

I keep Mobile 1 in the engine and it just runs and runs. No oil consumption between oil changes.

I'll do a filter and flush , but I won't be disappointed if I need a rebuild after 13years.

Thanks guys.

Doc

That's 104k more than I've got! Wow. How does your tranny fluid look? Does it smell / look burnt or black?

I've owned 3 explorers.. 2 have had the 55r5e automatic transmission. 1 failed completely and the other I nursed back to health with new (full synthetic trans fluid+ "transfusion") and filter. I now own a 5spd manual explorer OHV as my DD and they are bulletproof vehicles this way :D

Back