emtexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
Ok,

95 Explorer XLT 4WD
Changed the fluid a week ago, wasnt burnt or anything abnormal in the pan. X has 217K on it.

I reset the PCM, OD OFF light is off, I can turn OD on off normally, Now I go above 50 MPH and the OD light will start to flash, and I seem to loose performance. And stopping at stop signs, etc I get a clunk form 2-1.

Also once this happens there is a delay from Reverse to Drive, but this dosnt happen when the od light isnt blinking.

I have scanned the system no transmission codes, Im at a loss, has anyone run into this?

Thanks for the help

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You said that you reset the PCM then you scanned for codes? You will have to wait for the codes to reappear in order to get the code numbers.

Re Scanned the codes

I get a 648-C

648 Transmission 4th gear failure - Transmissions is what the code is. SO is that the OD solenoid? Ive searched and cant find alot of info on this. Or is it a module or something on the outside of the tranny?

Thanks

Josh

It could have a bad overdrive solenoid, a broken overdrive band, a leaking overdrive servo piston or it might just need a band adjustment. Sometimes the internal wiring harness goes bad or the connector gets corrosion.

It could have a bad overdrive solenoid, a broken overdrive band, a leaking overdrive servo piston or it might just need a band adjustment.

There is nothign Broken, I would assume there would be parts in the pan if a band broke, What would be the easiest thing to replace first to try and fix problem?

thanks

Josh

Try a band adjustment first. You could check the solenoid through the wiring harness.

band adjustment worked perfect, thanks for all your help!!!!

Had it adjusted in 10 minutes

Josh

I've been following this thread, since my OD light flashed a week ago when the OD button was pushed accidentally. The wife was driving it at the time, and she said the flashing went away after she pushed the button a couple times.
The weather was extremely cold that morning, about 5*F.

No codes show with the reader, but I'm not sure if it reads trans codes....?

I plan on ignoring it unless it recurrs; then a band adjustment as a first step thanks to you guy's posts.:thumbsup:

Pretty much have same issue. What luck to find this thread.
Got 226k miles on my 95 explorer, bout same as yours. Just had Jiffy do trans flush yesterday. I put in Sea Foam the day before and drove it about 10 miles. Drove it home and parked it after Jiffy, then hit the highway this afternoon and OD Off light starts flashing and clunks when coming to a stop.
I am supposed to drive 1000 miles to Long Island, NY to pick up a milling machine with my trailer this weekend. I hope it just needs a band adjust like yours did.
I love working on "cars", but auto trannies have always been the deep dark hauted forest I hate going into. Well, theres only one trail and thats where it leads.

Pretty much have same issue. What luck to find this thread.
Got 226k miles on my 95 explorer, bout same as yours. Just had Jiffy do trans flush yesterday. I put in Sea Foam the day before and drove it about 10 miles. Drove it home and parked it after Jiffy, then hit the highway this afternoon and OD Off light starts flashing and clunks when coming to a stop.
I am supposed to drive 1000 miles to Long Island, NY to pick up a milling machine with my trailer this weekend. I hope it just needs a band adjust like yours did.
I love working on "cars", but auto trannies have always been the deep dark hauted forest I hate going into. Well, theres only one trail and thats where it leads.

yeah do a band adjustment, in my case worked perfect and sounds like symptoms are very simillar. I was afraid of the auto tranny stuff to but the guys on here are great and so willing to help!!!!!

Thanks again Brooklyn

Josh

Well, adjusted the bands, but no luck.
I used to have that magic cure-all additive stuff in there before the flush, so I'm giving that a try while I hunt for a do-hicky to read the codes. I went to O-rielys today because someone on the forum got one there and liked it. But they claimed they don't have them. Tried every auto store in town (thats open sundays) and no luck.

I'll be making that New York drive come hell or high water this next weekend.
Since the problem seems to only be in 1st-2nd gear and the trip is 98% highway, It'll be on a wing and a prayer. That is if I can't get the issue resolved.

did you reset the PCM?

make sure you do that

thanks

Josh

That did the trick!!! :D Maybe the old mule will make 300k
This weeks start'n off a lot better than last. Thanks for everyone help, throughout the forum!!

Hoale

Sadly my Explorer had the OD OFF light flash recently. How do you reset the PCM?

Ok thanks for the info. I went to autozone and bought an OBD2 reader. They said they stopped doing free reads about a month ago because some of the commercial accounts were complaining that it was taking business away.

So I bought the CanOBD2 reader for around $70, guess I'll plug it in and find out what the codes are. Hopefully it's just a minor issue. :)

I bought the Equus 3030 for $79. I read up on the scanner online and it appears maybe I should have bought a better reader? Apparently this one doesn't read the enhanced OEM and transmission codes, which I think would be needed for the problem I have?

I think maybe I should step up to the 3130? Are there any units you recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back