• Register Today It's free!

ODBII code issue

phoenix708

Reaction score
City, State
Catawba, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bower
New here. Hello all! My wifes Explorer just started having some issues. Check engine light has been on but I dont remember the codes. Been running fine. The other day she called and said it had no power. Stepped on gas on wouldnt go. Finally cleared up and got home. Recently when she started it I noticed it was running rough when cold. Would clear up after 10 minutes or so. So, I checked the codes. Older scanner. Just displays codes and look them up in the pamphlet it comes with. Did some Google fu and I am confused where to start. Im 59 and have always done my own work. Plus marine mechanic by trade. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Codes:
1451 (Not sure what this one is)

Thinking mass air flow for starters (Shot in the dark here). Running lean/rich on both banks. Honestly just lost. Thanks again for any help!!

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New here. Hello all! My wifes Explorer just started having some issues. Check engine light has been on but I dont remember the codes. Been running fine. The other day she called and said it had no power. Stepped on gas on wouldnt go. Finally cleared up and got home. Recently when she started it I noticed it was running rough when cold. Would clear up after 10 minutes or so. So, I checked the codes. Older scanner. Just displays codes and look them up in the pamphlet it comes with. Did some Google fu and I am confused where to start. Im 59 and have always done my own work. Plus marine mechanic by trade. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Codes:
1451 (Not sure what this one is)

Thinking mass air flow for starters (Shot in the dark here). Running lean/rich on both banks. Honestly just lost. Thanks again for any help!!

Steve
Welcome to the forum. Please post which engine is in this vehicle. There were three different ones: 5.0L V8, 4.0L OHV and 4.0L SOHC. Looking at the codes seems that it's one of the 4.0L V6 engines. Post the 8th digit of the VIN if you can't tell the difference.

Also, you are saying that it "finally cleared up and she got home." Was it running OK, or just limping?

First two codes are for the evaporative control system and won't affect driveability - you probably had them for a long time. P1451 is malfunction of the vent valve in that system.
P0135 is a failure of the heating circuit for the primary O2 sensor in bank 1. This will only affect driveability until the engine warms up, but more likely not solely responsible for the rough running when cold. This usually points to vacuum leaks due to aged intake manifold gaskets, but knowing the engine type will help the experts here (not me!) give you better clues.

Welcome to the forum. Please post which engine is in this vehicle. There were three different ones: 5.0L V8, 4.0L OHV and 4.0L SOHC. Looking at the codes seems that it's one of the 4.0L V6 engines. Post the 8th digit of the VIN if you can't tell the difference.

Also, you are saying that it "finally cleared up and she got home." Was it running OK, or just limping?

First two codes are for the evaporative control system and won't affect driveability - you probably had them for a long time. P1451 is malfunction of the vent valve in that system.
P0135 is a failure of the heating circuit for the primary O2 sensor in bank 1. This will only affect driveability until the engine warms up, but more likely not solely responsible for the rough running when cold. This usually points to vacuum leaks due to aged intake manifold gaskets, but knowing the engine type will help the experts here (not me!) give you better clues.
Thanks for getting back to me. Not sure on the engine. Yes, a v-6. 8th digit is an "E". When it cleared up she said it seemed to be normal. Said that it had warmed up for awhile before driving and it did it right from the start when she started driving and then just cleared up and ran fine. Gotta love the older quirky vehicles. Real clean ride with only 150,000 on it. Or so it shows......hehehhe. Put a tranny in about 3 or 4 years ago. Been a good ride. Heck I have an HHR that was an ex company car. Ugly and uncomfortable but good on gas. Got it at 30,000. Has over 260,000 and only had to put a tranny line set on it. Cant beat that!

Thanks for getting back to me. Not sure on the engine. Yes, a v-6. 8th digit is an "E". When it cleared up she said it seemed to be normal. Said that it had warmed up for awhile before driving and it did it right from the start when she started driving and then just cleared up and ran fine. Gotta love the older quirky vehicles. Real clean ride with only 150,000 on it. Or so it shows......hehehhe. Put a tranny in about 3 or 4 years ago. Been a good ride. Heck I have an HHR that was an ex company car. Ugly and uncomfortable but good on gas. Got it at 30,000. Has over 260,000 and only had to put a tranny line set on it. Cant beat that!
Yep, it's the SOHC. You can search this forum for countless discussions about its many flaws. With the "clean ride" to 150K it already gave you a good run. If you don't hear the dreaded rattle when starting, perhaps it's just a vacuum leak due to deteriorated gaskets. But I have no personal experience with this engine and will leave the rest to the experts. Stay tuned and they will chime in. Good luck!

Bumping this thread, so SOHC experts can offer help to the O/P

My first thought is to look at the temp sensor Numbers
Before starting the truck And after
PCM sensor its gray
Intake gaskets
Vac line
Iac
But only in the morning when its cold says temp sensor

"My first thought is to look at the temp sensor Numbers"? Meaning on the gauge or throw a meter on it to check resistance? Sorry to sound ignorant. Consider myself pretty good with stuff like this. Just new to me. Maybe there is a thread I am missing describing this? Thanks for the input!

"My first thought is to look at the temp sensor Numbers"? Meaning on the gauge or throw a meter on it to check resistance? Sorry to sound ignorant. Consider myself pretty good with stuff like this. Just new to me. Maybe there is a thread I am missing describing this? Thanks for the input!
This is not specific to the SOHC, so I'll offer something: a known failure of this sensor - or more often, its connections - is indicating very cold temperature. If memory serves it indicates -40 deg when shorted to ground. This leads to injecting a lot of fuel -- similar to a choke in old engines and very difficult starting. The best and simplest way to check is to read the engine coolant temperature (ECT) with a decent scanner. In a pinch it can be done with a voltmeter, consulting a table. Measuring the gauge resistance may also work (again, need to consult a table), but normal resistance is not enough, because the problem could be with the wiring. What you see on the gauge has nothing to do with this -- it uses a different sensor -- which is why donalds told you to look at the gray one.

Back