ODD clunk when backing out of driveway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ODD clunk when backing out of driveway

98EdBomber

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E.Bauer 4.0(RWD)
4.0 EB 2wd 156k miles. Recent new tires, rotors, pads, calipers in front.

So I started to hear a clunk recently when I would back out of my driveway. I have those silly rounded gutters and when i turn out at an angle i hear a very pronounced CLUNK under the floor board/front end area in general.

It even does it when the rear tires go down the driveway at an angle. You know, that weird angle you go over a speed bump and the entire truck almost jolts you from your seat. That kind of angle. It seems to do it on both sides as well but that could be deceiving of course.

So I have recently replaced upper and lower ball joints. Upper control arms w/bushings on both sides as well. Havent replaced the lower control arm bushings and they look a little old but they arent severely cracked and I grabbed a huge pry bar while jacked up and i cant get the bushings to move around. Both sides feel solid to me. Shocks are a little worn but not loose. No play in side to side movement in the tires when jacked up (tie rods), but im not sure here either. The tie rod boots are both fine and its not moving around or anything. They feel solid. The transmission mounts look OK, bolts are tight (2WD btw). Torsion bar pads look decent but im not sure how to tell (no cracking). Sway bar bushings and sway bar end links/bushings (energy suspension) are new. I actually removed the sway bar links and the clunk is still there. I looked at the engine mounts and they look fine(no cracking/rotting) and the bolts are tight.

I have shocks on the way and if they dont cure the clunk, then do any of you guys have any idea what else this weird clunk could be?

Oh, also, it wont clunk no matter how hard or rough i go up and down the driveway when the wheels are straight. Only when backing out at an angle is the clunk noticeable.

Also I can get it to clunk if i drive about 10 mph and severely yank the wheel left and right. BUT when i removed the sway bar links i couldnt really get it to clunk as loud but sometimes i could hear it faintly. Its more pronounced with the sway bar links installed. Thats why i removed them in the beginning.

Im stumped!!! :scratch:

torsion bar bushings?

Back