• Register Today It's free!

Odd fuse tripping

elrothir

Reaction score
City, State
KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 XLT
I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with the towing package. I've recently run into an issue where my #23 fuse is tripping when I tow a trailer. Per my manual, the #23 fuse handles: Delayed accessory power, power windows, moonroof, folding mirror relay, DC inverter and Window/moonroof switch illumination.

I'm confused, because the trailer harness doesn't seem to tie into any of these systems. But this only happens when I've had my trailer attached and when I back it up. I thought maybe there was a short in the trailer wiring, but I'd expect it to trip one of the trailer fuses/relays. Or is the trailer power considered a delayed accessory power?

When it trips, though, I seem to still have power to my trailer lights, but my power windows and moonroof stop working.
Has anyone else seen this kind of thing and know what to check. I think it's definitely something with the trailer since it only trips when I've used the trailer, but I've checked the wiring and haven't found a short(yet).

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, technically, fuses don't "trip", they "blow". Circuit breakers usually trip but they can catastrophically blow. ;)

I'm confused, because the trailer harness doesn't seem to tie into any of these systems. But this only happens when I've had my trailer attached and when I back it up. I thought maybe there was a short in the trailer wiring, but I'd expect it to trip one of the trailer fuses/relays. Or is the trailer power considered a delayed accessory power?
Assuming the wiring is factory original and no "modifications" have been made, I'd say the trailer towing/reversing is coincidental as there is absolutely nothing (supposed to be) in common between the F23 circuit and any of the trailer electrical circuits. The trailer circuits are all individually isolated by relays and protected by fuses from other circuits in the vehicle.

Here is the schematic of F23 distribution:

2022-08-22 06_38_59-Service Information - 2018 Explorer - Power Distribution (13-24).png

How many times has this happened, and how long were the tows? If you hook up your trailer, and put it in reverse does it blow the fuse immediately?

Well, technically, fuses don't "trip", they "blow". Circuit breakers usually trip but they can catastrophically blow. ;)

Assuming the wiring is factory original and no "modifications" have been made, I'd say the trailer towing/reversing is coincidental as there is absolutely nothing (supposed to be) in common between the F23 circuit and any of the trailer electrical circuits. The trailer circuits are all individually isolated by relays and protected by fuses from other circuits in the vehicle.

Here is the schematic of F23 distribution:

View attachment 433494
LOL. Sorry, yeah, the fuse is blowing and needs replacing. Sorry for the mis-communication. :)

The Explorer wiring has had no modifications to it. The trailer is a Harbor Freight trailer that we use to haul kayaks and lumber. It's not the best wiring in the world.

How many times has this happened, and how long were the tows? If you hook up your trailer, and put it in reverse does it blow the fuse immediately?
This has happened 4 or 5 times now. The tows are anywhere between 20-60 minutes. None have been super heavy tows either. So far we've only pulled the trailer with a pair of kayaks on it, so not that heavy. It seems to only happen after I've backed it up. I'm not the best backer with a small trailer so it does 'wander' a bit and I have to correct back and forth.
I did try backing up without the trailer on and turning the wheel sharply one way and then the other, but the fuse never blew. I don't think the trailer is making contact with my back bumper when this happens.
We've not taken the trailer out in several weeks and haven't had the fuse blow again. But backing the trailer is the only time this seems to happen.

What happens to your rear camera when you're in reverse with a trailer attached?

What happens to your rear camera when you're in reverse with a trailer attached?
I'll have to check that next time it happens. I think the camera still works, but not 100% sure on that.

Back