Solved - Odd missfire 2003 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Odd missfire 2003 4.0

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Nctruckman

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4-Dr
I changed out the plugs and wires on my 03 4.0 ST Saturday, motorcraft plugs, autozone wires.
We had a storm and it blew blooms all over it. I was rinsing off the hood with a garden hose, when I noticed the hood wasn't latched all the way down. Nothing seemed wet.
I've noticed now it'll missfire/ backfire under anything more than half throttle. No codes.
I tried replacing the maf thinking it was that, to no avail. If I drive/ accelerate easy, it won't missfire hardly at all. Coil pack is oe ford within the last 6 months. Before these missfires, it ran perfectly.

Any thoughts on this?

Check your wiring again to ensure all the plug wires are routed correctly. You could also check the resistance of the plug wires to see if perhaps you got a bad one in the new set.

Check your wiring again to ensure all the plug wires are routed correctly. You could also check the resistance of the plug wires to see if perhaps you got a bad one in the new set.
Issue was some bad plug wires. Apparently they were internally damaged when I changed plugs

Back