• Register Today It's free!

Odd Noise/Interior Vibration

Rossi6998

Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Just a little FYI - Thought there was an issue with my vehicle.

Just finished waxing my vehicle. I had opened all four windows prior to waxing. Once done, my wife and I decided to go for a drive. I had closed the two front windows and turned on the A/C, but forgot the two back windows were still open. When I drove down the street and reached about 40 MPH, I got a strange howling sound and interior vibration. The sound was so strange, it almost sounded like it was coming from the speakers. The whole situation was so disturbing, I thought there was a problem with the engine. After a few seconds, I realized the back windows were open (while the front windows were still closed). This setup created the noise and interior vibration. My last vehicle only had two doors (not four), so I never think about the two rear windows. This situation/experience might seem stupid to some, but I thought I would pass it along.

Just a little FYI - Thought there was an issue with my vehicle.

Just finished waxing my vehicle. I had opened all four windows prior to waxing. Once done, my wife and I decided to go for a drive. I had closed the two front windows and turned on the A/C, but forgot the two back windows were still open. When I drove down the street and reached about 40 MPH, I got a strange howling sound and interior vibration. The sound was so strange, it almost sounded like it was coming from the speakers. The whole situation was so disturbing, I thought there was a problem with the engine. After a few seconds, I realized the back windows were open (while the front windows were still closed). This setup created the noise and interior vibration. My last vehicle only had two doors (not four), so I never think about the two rear windows. This situation/experience might seem stupid to some, but I thought I would pass it along.

Completely normal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...r-windows-make-that-awful-soun-1447498738/amp

We've experienced the helicopter noise in this and the last Explorer as well as the last minivan. It's quite annoying but have learned how to place the windows to avoid it.

If you just vent the moonroof (if you have one), it is enough venting to prevent it.

Back