• Register Today It's free!

odd problem

dg68

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 edbaur 4.0
Hi all new here. I am hoping some one can help with this. My sister has a 96 eb exp with 4.0. The problem is it will start fine when cold. Once it is up to temp it is very hard to restart. It acts as though it has jumped a tooth on timing. I checked fuel psi and about 2 psi below min. I have tried swaping relays in distribution box under hood. There are no codes other than an egr code. It was starting with a small shot of ether. It has progressed to spraying it to keep it running. I know fuel pump is the obvious answer. But once running it runs like a champ. This has been going on for over a year now and getting to the point where she has to leave it running to go in to the store. When this problem started I put a new dis module thinking it was failling due to heat. No change. My sister has a very limited budget so I would like to get this fixed with one part. Thanks for any help you all can give me.

try a fuel filter first, under pressure and that hot start issue could be a result of a clogged filter,,

Tried that Corkey. Have put 3 on hoping first cheap one was deffecive. I even pulled upper plenum and checked for cracks. The problem is def heat related.

I still think it is fuel pump.

Back