Odd Rear Windshield Wiper Problem | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Odd Rear Windshield Wiper Problem

newc5188

Reaction score
City, State
St Pete, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
When I use my rear windshield wiper, which is every morning it only wipes the sides of the rear windshield. It will do the whole motion but it wont even touch the glass in the middle. I was wonder what the problem could possibly be and how I can fix it if I can fix it.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
Rear wipers on Explorers have always been problematic, especially in the 2nd generation (95-01). There is a fix, but it involves replacing your wiper arm (Ford instroduced an "improved" version) and even then it's not guaranteed to solve the problem. I had mine replaced it works "some of the time".

<

A Wise Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Limited Dark Cherry
Odd, no. Common, yes. Replace the arm. Mine works great now.

<

Eneurb

Reaction score
City, State
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited
After replacing the arm, don't lean against it when you're out talking to your buddies leaning against the tailgate. Automatic car washes can bend them too...

<

Campinfool

Reaction score
City, State
Snohomish, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I just bend mine untill it hits all the glass. After going thru the car wash I bend it again. It's kind of a ritual.

<

Jake S.

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0L AWD XLT 4Dr
Hey I tried using one of those winter wiper blades to fix that problem, and it worked extremely well. You can get them at Autozone for like 8 or so bucks.

<

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
The main problem with a 98+ is the fact that the blade is designed for the older straight glass Explorers......The 98+ has a much rounder piece of glass.

I even have to bend mine sometimes......

<