• Register Today It's free!

Odd smell

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
Well my 98 ex with the sohc seems to have an odd smell lately while running. I have smelled it twice very heavy but that was while i was reversing out of a parking spot. After that i have only smelled it after i shut the truck off and get out but it is faint. I have checked all the transmission fluid which is a nice red as well as oil and anitfreeze. The smell seems to be coming from mid truck. The exhaust smells fine coming out of the tail pipe (Yes, I let the exhaust hit my hand and not my nose). I may have a minor seal leak on drive shaft where it goes in the transfer case i think. Its wet but no drops of fluid on the ground. The truck also has no cel or any other signs that it is running poorly. The second time i smelled it while reversing i stopped and got out of the ex and she shut off on me. No sure why but started right up and never had it do it again. The smell is hard for me to explain. It smells almost like a diesel truck or something. Like a fluid burning maybe. Any idea what to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

possible heat shield rubbing on driveshaft?

I think i figured it out shortley after i posted. I had a loose 02 sensor on bank 2 sensor 2 which gave me a lean code. I never disconnected the battery to reset the computer after i tightened it. I wonder if it was running to rich and thats what i was smelling. The smell appeared right after i tigthened the o2 sensor. Since reseting the computer though i haven't smelled anything. So i am hoping that cured it.

I LOVE finds and fixes like this. LOL.

Back