Odd sound coming from engine today....vaccum? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd sound coming from engine today....vaccum?

joeyd71

Reaction score
City, State
Oil City, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I started up my '97 Explorer XLT today, and as soon as I did, it was making a loud noise. The best way I can describe it is a loud whooshing sound coming from the engine- like air whooshing through a tunnel. It kind of reminded me of the way the engine should run- only like 3 times louder. I didn't think much of it, so I continued on. Eventually, it went away. But towards the end of my trip, it started back up again. This time there was a gurgling sound at idle. Whenever this gurgle came, the engine idle slowed down quite a bit and almost stalled out. I could rev the engine, and it would go away for a few seconds.

This all happens randomly and there isn't really a way to predict it. I'm attaching a video too. The gurgling sound starts at about 11 seconds.

Please let me know what you think, because I am away at school and I am planning on going home next weekend. I need to know if I will be able to get it home where all my tools and stuff are, or whether I should take it to have a mechanic listen to it.

Let me know what you guys think it might be.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me I'd look at the idle air control valve. Did you trace all the vacuum lines and check them?

No I haven't. I ran out of time. But would the idle air control valve explain the loud whooshing sound under the hood (at all RPM's)? What about the cooling system? I've been reading a little bit, and I saw that air bubbles getting in the cooling system can cause that gurgling sound.

And how about this- I also posted the question on yahoo answers (don't laugh) and somebody suggested a bad fan clutch. I've done some more research on symptoms of bad fan clutch, and it kind of adds up. I'll be walking the 2 miles to where I park my car (remember, at college) with a full tool kit in a backpack to do some investigating.

and just a little update- checked the car today and the fan was fine and the coolant level was also fine. it seemed to make less of the gurgle sound today though.

i tried pinpointing where the sound was coming from, and to me it sounded like the alternator was the culprit. The car still drives fine though (it seems).

UPDATE:
Found out what was wrong...the hard way. Made it 2 hours on my trip, and the idler pulley gave out (completely snapped off) and claimed the belt as a victim. I was able to limp it home without power steering, fan, etc. Had to stop a few times going up hills though. Luckily it was a very cold day. Picking up the parts tomorrow. However instead of paying the $40+ for the stock belt, I'm going to go with a shorter belt that bypasses the AC compressor. The AC never worked, nor do I need it to, so why strain the engine and maybe I'll gain 1mpg?

But anyways, thanks to all who contributed, and kudos to those who guessed right.

Back