• Register Today It's free!

Odd starting problem 99 sport

derek_redneck91

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 4x4
Hey yall. So today I drove the lady to work, we were early so I stopped at tim hortons. When it was time to go we hopped in and my battery seemed dead. rrrewwrr rrrewwrrr rrrrrewr (trying to imitate the noise....LOL) Anyways. I turn the key off, try it again and it does it again. Third try it starts normal. When we left in the first place it was fine. I drove home, started fine about 6 or seven times, i would start it, stop it, start it. No issues at all. Let it sit for 1/2 hour, no problems. Let it sit for over an hour, no problems. So i cleaned all battery connections and grounds, even cleaned the terminals going into the power distribution box. The connection at the alternator is fine and same with the connection at the starter (wire from alt goes to starter). So I measured the battery with mutlimeter, it's fine. I measured the battery while truck running, same reading...I unplugged the positive and measured. Same as what the battery is. Shouldn't it have more if the alternator is working? Now, the meter reading was off as it read 10v (tested it on another vehicle but got same reading). But i had another idea. usually when you disconnect the electrical connection to the alternator the rmps go up because then it isnt under load. but i did that, and there was no difference. I also put the battery on a charger, it was at full charge. Anyways. I think my brushes are gone. I want to do a rocker panel this weekend and it's either alternator or rocker panel. Any opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your battery has a good charge, your alternator is working.

It was ok. Not the 14 volts it should have been. And I wasnt getting Near the 16v from the alternator that you should get. Which is why I think it it was the alternator. Anyways, I got a reman from the wreckers for 60 bucks. Still no problems.

Thanks for the update. Maybe the alternator was weak. Maybe there was a connection that was intermittent that you fixed....lots of maybe's, but it sounds like with the work you did, you fixed the problem. An inexpensive fix at that.

Congratulations!

go to autozone (or one of the other auto parts chains) and have them check your battery and altenator. if they're okay it could be dirty, loose, corroded cables or your starter is on the way out.

when running you should see about 13.6-14 volts at the battery if your altenator is working properly. as far as the battery, when fully charged it should be at about 12.6 volts w/out the engine running, but volts don't mean much when it comes to starting. you need to know amps or what the battery is capable of when under a load. the machines the auto parts stores use to test your battery test the battery under a load.

Dono: I suspected the alternator was weak. It was from the old engine, and I think a while ago it was making some wierd ass whining/grinding noise. I think the brushes were screwed. And you are damn right it's cheap assurance. Seeing as a new one is $300!!!
Koda: I cleaned all of my connections just to eliminate that! I figured the alternator wasnt working because I wasn't getting any higher of a reading while the truck was on vs off. The battery shouldnt be low on amps, it's only a year old. I know the no amps problem because it happened on my old explorer. This is different. Someone told me it could be my starter drawing too much current. I hope it's not on it's was out. That thing is in a B*TCH of a place to get at.
I have had to start it 3 times today already, no problems.

well, if you're not seeing around 13.6+ volts at the battery with the engine running your altenator isn't working properly.

Back