Solved - Odometer not accurate. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Odometer not accurate.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

FordGuy2014

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Interceptor Utility.
UPDATE: As mentioned in one of my replies below, I was finally able to get the car in to get checked and it turns out that there is two different millimeter (mm) size settings for 245/55R18 size tires in one of the modules. It was set to the smaller of the two. So they reprogrammed it to the larger one and voila! My odometer is now matching my GPS from little distances to long distances. We were two vehicles traveling back to the same point and our mileages were like 3 kms off. So problem solved.

Thanks again for all that replied!

Hello.
My 2014 PIU odometer is not reading accurate. My speedometer is dead on comparing it with 2 GPS units.

GPS indicates 850 km driving distance.
OEM Odometer indicates 833 km.

I'm running the OEM wheels and tires (245/55R 18) and the BCMod is set for P245/55R 18 2188 mm.

Now I did notice that the BCMod has 2 settings.
1) 2188 mm 245/55R 18
2) 2208 mm 245/55R 18.
If I try and set the 2208 one I get the P160A code. So I just leave it on the 2188.

Anyone have any Idea how to fix this?
I need it to be right as I charge per KM and my billing is based on the odometer reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the tire pressure set to what it is called for? I don't know if a difference of 17 km in 850 km could be contributed to lower pressure. :dunno:

Peter

Is the tire pressure set to what it is called for? I don't know if a difference of 17 km in 850 km could be contributed to lower pressure. :dunno:

Peter
Yes it is set to the recommended setting. Also the low pressure indicator would drive me nuts if it was set to low or high lol.

Yes it is set to the recommended setting. Also the low pressure indicator would drive me nuts if it was set to low or high lol.
I believe most sensors have a 25% tolerance so that pressure would have to vary quite a bit. ;)

Peter

How are you still on the OEM tires after 8 years if driving enough to bill for it?

If it weren't for that, it wouldn't bother me considering that is only 2% difference, but when you got the code, instead of changing it back, did you try doing a PCM & TCM relearn?

How are you still on the OEM tires after 8 years if driving enough to bill for it?

If it weren't for that, it wouldn't bother me considering that is only 2% difference, but when you got the code, instead of changing it back, did you try doing a PCM & TCM relearn?

Just a guess but I think he meant OEM wheels and tire size.

Peter

It’s probably the tires. Just because 2 tires are the same size tire doesn’t mean they are the same outer diameter.

I only purchased the car late 2019 with 184,000 kms. Ontario owned it the first 5 years.

What I mean by OEM tires is, I buy the same tires that the car came with. Goodyear Eagle Enforcers, 5 summers and 5 winters all on the PIU steel wheels. My work involves driving the car all over Canada and the USA.

As for the PCM relearn, I don't think I can do that with FORSCAN.

My buddy works at a Ford dealer and when I get back home next week he said he will take it in.

I believe most sensors have a 25% tolerance so that pressure would have to vary quite a bit. ;)

Peter
I didn't know that. But I did check the the pressures after I read your first post and they are all at 35 as per the door tag.

The odometer is never right. Mine is 2.3% low, so I have to add that when calculating mpg. The speedometer is so close, I don't have to think about it. I don't try to fix it, just compensate.

The odometer is never right. Mine is 2.3% low, so I have to add that when calculating mpg. The speedometer is so close, I don't have to thing about it. I don't try to fix it, just compensate.
Ok thanks!

It’s probably the tires. Just because 2 tires are the same size tire doesn’t mean they are the same outer diameter.
I was thinking the same. But I always use the same brand and size.

Back