Odometer Slow: Correct reading retreivable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odometer Slow: Correct reading retreivable?

Cardron

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
My brother gave me his 1995 Ford Explorer last month and I recently discovered the odometer & trip meter moves very slowly.

Would the correct odometer reading be stored in the computer and retrievable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My odometer and trip meter move pretty slow too, especially around town.

All kidding aside, have you measured it against a mile marker on the highway?

It would not be retrievable as far as I've ever heard.

My odometer and trip meter move pretty slow too, especially around town.

All kidding aside, have you measured it against a mile marker on the highway?

Calculating the mpg for it came out to 4 mpg. Later my brother said the odometer didn't work. Watching it I noticed the tenth gear wasn't moving like it should. I also got a GPS Nav from him that confirms the odometer is wrong. After doing some repairs and replacing parts the vehicle has gone from 10 mpg to 14 mpg. It's rated at 16 mpg.

It would not be retrievable as far as I've ever heard.

Darn, I was hoping it would be. :/ I would like to know what the actual odometer reading is but I guess there's no way to find out. Oh well.

as far as i know there is nothing stored in the ECU. The gears that turn the odometer are plastic and over time they give up. mine started running slow and a month later it just stopped working, i took it out and the plastic gears broke apart. its not really that big of a deal if you dont mind not knowing the correct odometer reading.

does it have oversized tires on it ?

The tires are larger than the original. I believe they're all terrain tires.

as far as i know there is nothing stored in the ECU. The gears that turn the odometer are plastic and over time they give up. mine started running slow and a month later it just stopped working, i took it out and the plastic gears broke apart. its not really that big of a deal if you dont mind not knowing the correct odometer reading.

The odometer on this vehicle hasn't been working for about the last 7 years I think and my brother had used it for while traveling playing baseball for different teams, not to mention returning sometimes. There's at least 10K miles difference. If your looking to trade it it or resell it, you need to give the odometer reading and since the odometer reflects how many miles have been put on the vehicle, wouldn't giving what the odometer wrongly reads be false reporting or something, not to mentinon unethical?

larger or smaller tires will make the odometer run slower or faster because the transmsion things the vehicle is covering distance at one rate while the tires are covering more or less distance. the ecu doesn't know the tire size is different so it only registers the milage it thinks the vehicle has done based on stock tire size. no one would be able to tell the difference, but if you want to be honest to a buyer just inform him/her of the issue and your estimated milage. by the way your speedo is also wrong (showing slower that actual speed).

Back