• Register Today It's free!

Odometer

Poohdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
If a vehicle has been flat towed behind a winnebago does it accumulate miles on the odometer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question. I would think that if the vehicle ignition is turned off then it would not record miles. Also, this is easy to confirm by flat towing for a few miles and then checking the odometer for a change in mileage.

Good question. I would think that if the vehicle ignition is turned off then it would not record miles. Also, this is easy to confirm by flat towing for a few miles and then checking the odometer for a change in mileage.
Asking because mine has the attachment under front bumper for towing. It's high mileage but it in no way looks nor runs as the mileage would indicate...

Asking because mine has the attachment under front bumper for towing. It's high mileage but it in no way looks nor runs as the mileage would indicate...
If it has lived in a dry area or where roads aren't salted and it is well cared for then it could have the miles on it and still look good. I bought my 2010 with around 100k miles on it and it had virtually no interior wear and tear, rust free and other than needing tires and a radiator ran great. The exterior was in very good condition. Even the power running boards worked like new. According to the Carfax it lived its life in Maryland. I believe it was probably driven by a smaller woman as the driver's seat looked pristine, the center armrest had zero wear. The only interior items that had wear was the plastic pieces on the front doors near the opening latches which always wear to some extent. It is possible to have high miles, little wear and be in good condition.

Typically vehicles with mechanical odometers will rack up miles during towing but ones with electronic odometers (like 2006-2010 Explorers/Mountaineers) will not if the ignition is off. The one question I would have is if the ignition is in the accessory position will cause mileage to be read and recorded.

i know my owners manual says this vehicle can not nor should you attempt a flat tow

The odometer is run with a tiny electric motor, it will not move without the ignition on.

Back