• Register Today It's free!

Oe torsion keys

ivrb

Reaction score
City, State
southern cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
Does anyone know if oe torsion keys have or use a rubber cushion on the area that rests on the torsion bar pad were it cranks, or does it just sit metal to metal, i've seen mine under my truck but don't seem to have them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 95-97 models have a permanent frame "pad" and the keys have kevlar molded to them where they contact. That's why the 95-97 is to be avoided, those wear out and make lots of noise.

The 98-01's have a replaceable frame "pad" called an isolator which includes a flexuible material like a bushing. The keys are all steel and basically do not wear out, and the isolators also should last a lifetime.

Ok, the reason for my question is because my 2000 xls makes a little tapping noise from under floor board so I looked at the pad and isolator they look intact, I also got a hold of some A torsion bars with keys from a 97 and I did see that the 97 keys have a piece of what looks like a piece of radiator hose cut out piece were the keys touch the isolator pad and my 2000 does not, the other question would be is, Can I use the 97 keys onto my 2000? I got it all together and since the little cushion on the keys were worn out on the contact point I took that pad off and cleaned them, so I'd like to remove my bars with keys and replace them with the 97s all complete the way I got them bars and keys together so I don't have to pull out the original keys.

Well you can do that, but the keys are the same shape besides the older pad material. They should tap right off of the bar easily, it's a slip on fit.

torsion keys

Well if all keys are the same I'll use them as they're still on the bars, thinking I would not have to pull them off.

Back