OEM parts that are interchangeable from one trim to another? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM parts that are interchangeable from one trim to another?

vital

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT
Getting 2012 XLT in a few days and would like to know if there's any body or mechanical parts I can use out of Limited and Sport that would look/work better.

I do realize most of these upgrades will be expensive and purely visuals, not much of a performance upgrades but let's say I have connections with junk yards where I can pick certain parts up for pretty cheap or better yet access to dealer pricing - now they just might make sense :)

So yeah - what can I take out of Limited/Sport and EASILY install on my XLT?

Thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Getting 2012 XLT in a few days and would like to know if there's any body or mechanical parts I can use out of Limited and Sport that would look/work better.

I do realize most of these upgrades will be expensive and purely visuals, not much of a performance upgrades but let's say I have connections with junk yards where I can pick certain parts up for pretty cheap or better yet access to dealer pricing - now they just might make sense :)

So yeah - what can I take out of Limited/Sport and EASILY install on my XLT?

Thanx!
Welcome to the Forum vital.:wavey:
If you want, you could probably start with the grill. The Limited has a colour matched one and the Sport has a black one. The XLT's all come with a silver coloured grill. Of course if your XLT happens to be silver in colour than the grill will already match.;)
The wheels are also interchangeable. My Limited came with 20" wheels but I use the base model 17" ones for my Winter tires.
Not knowing which trim package your XLT has, it may be difficult to say what interior features you could change. If you don't know the package it has, you can run the VIN and pull up the Window Sticker and it should tell you.
You can use this thread to find that info;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308458

Good luck.:):thumbsup:

Peter

since my new wheels will be coming in soon , I will have a nice set of Sport wheels with tires and sensors that will look great on your ride :D

Great links peterK9, thanx!

MY car is 2012 XLT with 205A with dual moonroof and 20 chrome rims added. Can't say I'm too excited about those chrome rims but they will do for now.

I got this car via swap-a-lease and will only have it for 6 months (unless I decide to buy it out) so no huge mods will be done to it.

what about Limited and Sport's xenon headlights? Would they be a simple swap (yes, i'll probably need to get a different connector or if none available just cut'n'splice wires)

I've also seen a few Sports with what looked like tinted/dark tails? Was it done aftermarket or do Sports come with dark oem tails?

Great links peterK9, thanx!

MY car is 2012 XLT with 205A with dual moonroof and 20 chrome rims added. Can't say I'm too excited about those chrome rims but they will do for now.

I got this car via swap-a-lease and will only have it for 6 months (unless I decide to buy it out) so no huge mods will be done to it.

what about Limited and Sport's xenon headlights? Would they be a simple swap (yes, i'll probably need to get a different connector or if none available just cut'n'splice wires)

I've also seen a few Sports with what looked like tinted/dark tails? Was it done aftermarket or do Sports come with dark oem tails?
The Sport comes with the 'smoked' look front and rear. The Limited and Sport come with the same projector beam halogen lamps as the XLT. The HID headlamps are an option on the U.S. Limited and standard on the Canadian Limited. There are threads in the 'Modified' forum where members have changed the halogens with HID's. Some have also installed LED bulbs in place of the OEM ones, inside and out.

Peter

Well, just got Limited's kick panels which have a nice aluminum looking "EXPLORER" cover instead of black plastic one on my XLT. It's SMALL things like that :)

Also - Limited I saw has a really cool blue interior light (NOT led swap on the headliner) - door handles, cup holders, footweels..... Is that something that is doible DYI?

Well, just got Limited's kick panels which have a nice aluminum looking "EXPLORER" cover instead of black plastic one on my XLT. It's SMALL things like that :)

Also - Limited I saw has a really cool blue interior light (NOT led swap on the headliner) - door handles, cup holders, footweels..... Is that something that is doible DYI?
That is what is called 'Ambient Lighting'. You can chose from various colours (no sure how many, 6 or 7?) via the MFT screen. There is an aftermarket kit that Ford offers but I don't think it gives you everything that the factory installed one does.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307783&highlight=ambient

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314984&highlight=ambient

Peter

Back