OEM Remote Start Quit working

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I've searched a lot of thread titles and threads, and didn't see this particular topic, but if it's out there, please post a link.

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with the factory key fob activated remote start. A few days ago, I went to start the Explorer and went through the usual sequence - hit lock, then remote start twice and just got the 3 red flashes indicating a failure.

The one issue I had prior to noticing it is not working is the vehicle battery failed. I replaced the battery and have not noticed any other issues. I did get a CEL when the battery failed, but it went away after I replaced the battery.

I've gone into the Vehicle setup and disabled and re-enabled the remote start. I've tried both keys. I've tried it from near and far away. No combination will get it working again.

I've used FORSCAN to see if there were any codes, and there do not seem to be. I've watched the hood switch state in Forscan and it accurately shows open and closed positions.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in the Canbus to know what software flags to look for, but I do have access via Forscan.

Anyone have any thoughts, or even better, had this happen and found a fix?

Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have anything plugged into the power points? If so, that has been known to interfere with remote start.

Peter

And yes, just for kicks, I did replace the batteries in the key fob. No change in behaviors.

So I'm guessing you don't have anything plugged in the power points??

Peter

Try to disconnect the new battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it. It happens sometimes to my Edge (after a ForScan edit or re-connecting the battery) and read it being reported on some other Ford models. Might help since you don't have apparent reason for the remote start not to work except for installing a new battery.

Do you have anything plugged into the power points? If so, that has been known to interfere with remote start.

Peter
No, nothing plugged into any power points.

Try to disconnect the new battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it. It happens sometimes to my Edge (after a ForScan edit or re-connecting the battery) and read it being reported on some other Ford models. Might help since you don't have apparent reason for the remote start not to work except for installing a new battery.
Thx. Wouldn't hurt to try again. I thought about it, but I don't have a 10mm where I am presently. I will look to see if there is an adjustable wrench around.

Thx. Wouldn't hurt to try again. I thought about it, but I don't have a 10mm where I am presently. I will look to see if there is an adjustable wrench around.
You could always try a Master Reset first since you'll lose some saved memory anyway.

Peter

Well, that worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

After living through all the Sync/MFT issues with my 2011, I've had few issues with the 2016, and never anything like this. No idea why and honestly, I'll just be thankful that's all it was.

Well, that worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

After living through all the Sync/MFT issues with my 2011, I've had few issues with the 2016, and never anything like this. No idea why and honestly, I'll just be thankful that's all it was.

Glad it worked. Do you happen to have the shock sensor installed (vehicle security accessory), some have reported that this might be the cause for this. I have one installed, so it might be it, or not.

Glad it worked. Do you happen to have the shock sensor installed (vehicle security accessory), some have reported that this might be the cause for this. I have one installed, so it might be it, or not.
Yes, I do have the factory shock sensor. It is a pain in the butt. It triggers an alarm in thunderstorms and when big trucks roll by.

I have seen where people have been able to disable them with CANBUS changes.

Yes, I do have the factory shock sensor. It is a pain in the butt. It triggers an alarm in thunderstorms and when big trucks roll by.

I have seen where people have been able to disable them with CANBUS changes.

It actually is NOT a factory sensor. It is an OEM accessory added after the factory (link), probably by the dealer or the previous owner (if purchased used). There is a knob on the module to adjust the shock sensitivity. You'll need to look for it under the dash. The wiring harness for it is sandwiched between the OBD2 connector and its wiring, so you should be able to trace it from there (behind the OBD2 connector). You can see photos of the module here.

Back