• Register Today It's free!

OEM vs Ebay timing sets

tomrj

Reaction score
City, State
pollock pines, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
hello, I pulled the eng. on girlfreind's 97 explorer xlt( 4.0 SOHC VIN E) and all of the guides are broken as well as the front crank to jackshaft and balance shaft tensioners. Amazingly it still ran good w/ no start up noice, only made noice when it warmed up. My main question is should I use Ebay parts (cloyes 9-0389S, Napa 90398s) and are they comparable to OEM. Also would you use aftermarket water pump, belt tensioner, idle pulley, gaskets, hoses etc or stick w/OEM. the price diff. is huge. thanks for any input Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bought ford parts, but

I went ahead and ordered both cassettes, both updated hydraulic tensioners, new crank to jackshaft chain, guide and tensioner, new balance shaft guide and tensioner as. well as a new ford waterpump, a plug for rear cassette access. and a new crank bolt. My question is should I replace the outer crank gear and the outer jackshaft gear as well (they look good) and would you replace the oil pump(seems to work great, but 220K)??? thanks for any insight, Tom

220K...WOW! The engine has lasted that long?

I would also replace the oil pump. I didn't on mine since it only had 97K before it broke every guide except the left cassette.

Did you also order a new front and rear jackshaft bolt? They are a torque-to-yield bolt and must not be reused! It has to be ordered separately.

Also if you need the timing kit I have one that I'm going to sell on Ebay http://tool-king.amazonwebstore.com/OTC-6488-Ford-Cam-Tool-Kit/M/B000F5ED12.htm

6488_2260.jpg

$150 + Shipping

Cliff

thanks for that cliff, I guess I'll nhave to order the front and rear jackshaft bolts and the oil pump. Did you replace the crank and jackshaft gears and is it recommended, I am replacing the crank to jackshaft chain, guides and tensioner. Both cassette guides as well a the crank to jackshaft tensioner were totally gone and the balance shaft tensioner is cracked, yet the rig was quiet on start up and only made noice on left side when warm. It still ran great, started , idled etc., mpg has dropped off. I already bought a tool set but thanks for offer, I'll probably have mine for sale w/ in a week or 2. thanks again Tom

Ford says the 4.0L sohc can run without any guides or tensioners.

Tom---

My Engine only had 97K. The engine oil was replaced regularly as the inside was very clean. All the guides were broke but what did the engine in was the plastic guide on the right head broke at the lower mount, jumped timing and bent valves on that head...

The chain and gears were ok so I didn't replace the outer crank gear and the outer jackshaft gear.

I would also recommend replacing the cam bolts. When I torqued mine the left one torqued fine to 63lbs but the right one felt like I was stretching the bolt to get to 63lbs. You don't want to brake that bolt in the cam. I have seen that happen!

Cliff

No Way Jose!

SWETRID

There is no way the engine can run with no guides or tensioners, specially the cassettes. The chains would jump timing as soon as you turned the crank if there was no tension on the chain.

Where the heck did you read that?

would you do head gaskets also

Hello all, I changed all the timing chain componets including outer crank gear and jackshaft gear, new tensioners, both cassettes and the balance shaft tensioner and guide. Also replaced the cam gear bolts and the crank bolt and oil pump and water pump all w/ Ford Parts(approx $600). Should have used the ebay parts($150 for timing chain kit) and save about 250. But, the timing is set perfectly and it should run great, should I get the heads vaccum tested, resurfaced,reground, install new valve seals and head gaskets(another$500 or so) while I have it out of the vehicle. Its got 220k on it and never been overheated and ran great, just made noice once it warmed up. What would you do??? please respond , do the SOHC's have a history of head gasket issues tec. thanks again Tom ps its been a learning process

Tom

You said you already replaced all those components which would mean you will have to do it all over again with the new torque-to-yeald bolts if you remove the heads. That should have been done before you did that work.

I would also replace the cam gear bolts as they do stretch!

Cliff

It should be fairly easy to reset the valve timing, the only thing I need to pull(I think) is the cam sprocket bolts and pull the sprockets off the cams as well as pulling the tensioners. Then pull off the exhaust manifolds, fuel injectors and rails, camshafts,and remove the heads and send them to a machine shop to be resurfaced. I know that I need new head bolts and new head gaskets to put it back together, and that I should have done this before I did the timing chains. The main question is do 4.0 SOHC eng. have a history of head/ head gasket problems and would you recommend bitting the bullet and changing them while the eng is still out(the only thing that I'll have to rereplace is the tensioner crush washers(I think) thanks for your input Tom

Yes you can do that but you still have to time the cams.

Before you pull the heads make sure you are at TDC with both cam slots pointing down.

I decided to not do the heads, "if its not broke...."' I checked @ Harold Ford, & Folsom Lake Ford and they don't even stock headgaskets, and said there isn't an issue w/ that motor besides the timing chains and leaking thermo housings. If I was to do again I would buy the Ebay kit for $150.00 and buy the ford cam bolts, jackshaft and crank bolts and the crank outer gear and possibly the front jackshaft gear. Also if anyone needs otc 6488 ,I'll be selling mine for $145 + s/h (cost me $ 205.48) thanks Tom

Probably the correct decision. If it aint broke then no need to fix it.

Back