• Register Today It's free!

Off and On Oil Leak

Rene44

Reaction score
City, State
Natchez, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay, still thinking oil leak (like a drip since oil still registers full) is valve cover (driver side). Has smell of burnt oil off and on. For example, yesterday morning I smelled the burnt oil scent. Got home, pull the hood, and it was smoking on the exhaust manifold joint. Something is dripping causing smoke! Later in day go out for a drive and nothing.

How bad do you think this problem is? Nothing on any driveways so far but I do drive almost an hour to and from work during the week. Do you think this is something that can wait?

If I should not wait, I was thinking of going to my credit union and borrowing enough to do the valve cover gasket replacement (quoted $550 I believe it was), get a tune up (not quoted) and a transmission fluid check (not quoted recently).

I’m hoping that doing it all at one time will save some on labor charges. But never had a bunch of things done at one time. So not sure.

PS: Did find something about checking PCV value but unsure how easy it would be to check because the ones we see don’t appear to be the same as the one on ours.

I hear of a timing chain rattle that may develop over time that would drive me nuts.

Valve cover gaskets are primary cause of oil leaks on exhasut anifolds for any engine, so most likely that's the issue.

I assume you have 4.0

Back