Off road child safety seat????

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Not sure where to put a question like this so here it be ;)

My daughter and I spend hundreds of hours every year in the wilderness, many of them in my truck. We often times find ourselves bouncing around and being thrown all over the cab :D

When Zaira was about three/four she went on her first offroading trip, and after the trip my first purchase was a much heavier duty car seat. The new unit secured to the tool box easily as well as the seat belt. I choose the model because I liked the way the 5-point harness came together (cam buckle) and the fact that the chest piece was very heavy and well padded. All in all the car seat has served well for a couple of years and has kept Zaira very secure.

Now I face the time frame when she is just to big for the traditional car seat and she needs one of the style that except the shoulder belt. I find these to be very insecure for my style of driving, as well as generally inadequate as far as a sefty restraint goes. I stole my G/F's for a few days and hated it.

So my question is this: Is there a child safety seat that anyone knows of which utelizes a standard 5 point harness, but will also accomodate a six year old for a couple years....... Ideally she can continue to use it off road even after she is using just a booster in city.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've got a Britax in the wife's Subie. Supposed to be by far the best car seat out there and a price tag to match.

Could also look in to these. I see them used all the time in the desert. Here is the LINK go to the seat section and look for the Super Kid. Hope that helps. There is this one as well. Look for the Preemy Seat.

i have the britax for my steet driving and mild off road, car seat is awsome. however for hard off roading beard makes a mini super seat with will work for ages 4 -about 10 or so there about 250 and you would need to mount it to the floor and use an after market 5 point harness of your prefreance but defintaly worth the money here a link to there site click on seat/mounting and its called super kid

http://www.redart.com/

Thanks for the link. Hmm that may be an Idea for the center of the mustang rear seat.

The rear seat in a vert is pretty much kid only.....
Now if I were to eliminate the padded rear seat and mount that in the center it would give me some nice space to add a small sound system...

Celly, Do you have any idea if that Britax would mount well and fit in the "40" section of our rear seats.....

Edit.....Actually I don't know if your rear seat is like mine or not being a Sport.

dreamr said:
Celly, Do you have any idea if that Britax would mount well and fit in the "40" section of our rear seats.....

Edit.....Actually I don't know if your rear seat is like mine or not being a Sport.

I have a 50:50 split. Would probably work in mine. I have a much cheaper seat in my Ex. Wife takes the little guy around mostly so she got the kickass seat. It is very beefy, and might fit in the 40 on yours.

Back