KLJ777

Reaction score
City, State
Green Lane , PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hey All,

I have a 1993 Ford Exp with the 4.0 v6.
I am making it into an "off Road" only truck and wanted to know best, cheap ;-) Exhaust ideas. I would like to put open headers through Hood !
:usa::usa::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the goal here?

Unless you're racing it, open headers will get old real fast.
If you're just hoping to get more power by not running any exhaust, it won't happen. This engine needs some backpressure.

My guess is he wants an exhaust that wont drag on the ground. If you want quiet, mine is cut off after the cats, and I used the biggest glasspack I could get. Then I just used a 90 degree pipe to turn it down. For through the hood, you would have to custom make manifolds.

OOOOWWW Mount the O2's outside the hood please!

With after-burner spark plugs!

[MENTION=638]RangerX[/MENTION] back pressure is the wrong term there. Back pressure is always bad. The reason to keep the exhaust "corked" is to maintain exhaust velocity.
[MENTION=235549]2stroke[/MENTION] who's ever drug the exhaust on the ground?? Well except the tip. And I do have a buddy who smashed his brand new Flowmaster on a tree stump.
Anyways if the OP is trying to get that much clearance I really hope he posts pics :)

I use JBA headers and like them a lot.
I'd use them dumped into 2 1/2" pipe to your favorite muffler/glasspack and finished with a down turned tip or out the side ahead of rear tire. Please use a muffler of some sort, our trucks don't make the most pleasant sounds and it drones a bunch in the cabin at high volumes... it's very annoying. My signature gives you some specs.

Also, unless your engine is built open headers won't work well and not only will be load but may hurt power...Other, I'm sure, will chime in to add weight to this fact

Well I ripped my stock muffler off on a stump, so I guess me. One extra benefit that you hope to never need is water crossings. One time I launched a boat at a spot you had to back in about 100 yards to get to deeper water. The exhaust was totally under water and when it stalled, it would not start. If you are into big water or mud pits, I could see this being a problem. Around here, all we have is water and mud. The first thing guys do is raise all vent tubes, intake, and exhaust.

Well I ripped my stock muffler off on a stump, so I guess me. One extra benefit that you hope to never need is water crossings. One time I launched a boat at a spot you had to back in about 100 yards to get to deeper water. The exhaust was totally under water and when it stalled, it would not start. If you are into big water or mud pits, I could see this being a problem. Around here, all we have is water and mud. The first thing guys do is raise all vent tubes, intake, and exhaust.

Good point!

Thanks for all the info and insight. I was worried about open headers.
This is just going to be a trail rig not a purpose built ( ie Crawler, Bogger) although I will be challenging rocks and mud. She only has a 5.5 in lift kit in her so it is not as exciting as it sounds (yet :)) I think Headers and glass packs may be the way to go. Although through the hood and afterburners would be cool !!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for all the info and insight. I was worried about open headers.
This is just going to be a trail rig not a purpose built ( ie Crawler, Bogger) although I will be challenging rocks and mud. She only has a 5.5 in lift kit in her so it is not as exciting as it sounds (yet :)) I think Headers and glass packs may be the way to go. Although through the hood and afterburners would be cool !!!!!!!! :)

Dump it out the front fender!!!!!

hqdefault_zpsazqw1hc9.jpg

I Like It !!!!!!!
Course it is a Mopar, but still cool.

Allright,

I just got a 4WD issue resolved. TOTAL PAIN.
Next thing is to cut existing exhaust. Going to cut right in front of CAT.
I may need a glass pack but not worried. Next step is headers.
Any thoughts on Best bang for the buck ???

Thanks as always in advance

I had a 2.5" glass pack on mine,it ran well.But I still had the cat on it. I have found though that my truck runs pretty good with a single 3" cat feeding into some 3" turbo muffler that dumps right in front of the right rear tire. I still have my old exhaust if you bring me a case of Guiness....But seriously immigrating can supply you with a free flow exhaust (made fromt generic parts) for about $100 .
You just have to to weld it.
Greg

Back