Off-Road permits needed for registered vehicles question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-Road permits needed for registered vehicles question

Happy Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Heard a rumor that Colorado is requiring folks to purchase an off road permits for daily drivers to wheel on trails. Info I received was unclear and some have said they were required in other states as well. I checked over on United's site and it is pertty slow with not a lot of posts and the only info I could find was a law suit about the money collected for permits (off road only vehicles) going to groups to close down the trails.

Anyone have good info on what is required and where? Arizona? Oregon? Washington?

Seems the source is the State Parks & Wildlife office. Not sure what authority they would have in the National Forest or BLM if any.

Thought I'd start a thread and folks could post up what is required and what is not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Word is they are including all motor vehicles. On you link at the bottom it shows placement of the decal and has "Jeep" listed. Seems to me the head of the Colorado Parks & Wildlife may have over stepped. So someone will have to sue them. But I don't know how many folks they have working for them. Folks have contacted the BLM and Forest Service and they say they are federal and don't do state inforcement. Guess we'll just have to see how it works out and if Parks have enough folks to patrol all the Forest Service and BLM land. Anyway a bunch of green folks on another board have already gone down and bought them for daily driven trucks.

Having been a resident of Colorado for 25 years before moving to Nevada, you do not need to buy any sticker for your properly licensed vehicle.This is from the OHV laws section of that link above.

(6) No registration under this article is required for any:
(a) Off-highway vehicle owned by any agency of the United States or another state or a political subdivision thereof when such ownership is clearly displayed on such vehicle;
(b) Off-highway vehicle owned by a resident of another state or country if such off-highway vehicle is covered by a valid license or registration of such other state or country and such off-highway vehicle has not been within this state for more than thirty consecutive days;
(c) Off-highway vehicle used strictly for agricultural purposes;
(d) Off-highway vehicle used strictly on private property;
(e) Off-highway vehicle operated in an organized competitive or concompetitive event on publicly or privately owned or leased land; except that this exemption shall not apply unless the agency exercising jurisdiction over such land specifically authorizes the organized competitive or noncompetitive event;
(f) Off-highway vehicle used by a dealer or manufacturer, or an authorized designee thereof, for off-highway vehicle operator education or safety programs.

Thing is there is a difference between Federal and State law. That was covered in another of the threads I read. This seems to be action taken by the Colorado State Dept. of Parks and Wildlife. The folowing was from one of the threads but the link to it dose not work any more.

Here's the official announcement (this is from DOW/State Parks):

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has announced its permit requirements for OHVs and motor vehicles using designated routes. Please read closely and carefully. If you have comments, please call Tom Metsa of Parks and Wildlife at the number listed below.

The statute:

33-14.5-112. Off-highway use permit

(b) On and after January 1, 1991, the owner of every vehicle required to be registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S., and the owner or operator of every motor vehicle and off-highway vehicle from another state or country, when such vehicle is being used for recreational travel upon designated off-highway vehicle routes, shall obtain and display on such vehicle an off-highway use permit.

This statute would require plated vehicles on designated OHV routes to have a permit. A vehicle registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42 would be a street legal, plated vehicle. OHV registrations and OHV permits both cost $25.25, but are not the same thing.

33-14.5-101. Definitions.

(4) "Off-highway vehicle route" means any road, trail, or way owned or managed by the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof or the United States for off-highway vehicle travel.

Funds collected from OHV registrations and permits go into a dedicated fund for the State OHV program and last year over $4,000,000 of grants were given out to the FS, BLM, state and local governments for OHV trail projects.

This season:

State Parks OHV Trail Rangers began an educational effort on plated vehicles who do not have a "permit" as the statute requires. CO statute requires both residents and non-residents to purchase an OHV "permit" if they have a plated vehicle traveling on a designated OHV route or have an OHV with an OHV registration from their home state and they will be in CO for less than 30 consecutive days.

FS MVUMs identify trails for all vehicle types including "trails open to all Vehicles" (full size included), "trails open to vehicles 50" or less" or "trails open to motorcycles only". State Parks officers are considering these "trails" as the routes at a minimum which will require a CO OHV Permit for travel on with a plated vehicle of any type. Educational efforts and any verbal warnings will be limited to these routes that are designated as "trails". No citations have been issued by State Parks officers and any warned users have been given a copy of the statute or had the statute explained. Parks officers have also visited powersport dealers when possible to discuss statute and its requirements.

The CO State OHV Program has been in contact with several FS Ranger Districts to discuss and interpret these statutes to gain consistent enforcement. Some FS and BLM LEOs may or could interpret these statutes differently than each other or the state. We are in the process of working with the FS and BLM on an MOU to identify which types routes will be enforced consistently as designated OHV routes and needing permits. This is one reason State Parks has began educating instead of writing citations.

This does not mean a citation cannot or will not be written by other LE agencies. Currently most fed LEOs are making the distinction between a "road" and a "trail" with roads open to all vehicles not needing a permit and trails needing OHV registrations and permits (this is my opinion).

Once an agreement (MOU) has been reached with FS and BLM, I will be able to provide information on consistent enforcement information from all agencies. State Parks will then implement a educational program on permits and the requirements. People who are concerned about possible citation should consider or not purchasing a permit or registration after reading the statute. There has been much discussion on this topic but I have not heard of anyone getting a citation. Are you aware of any?

I am more than happy to answer questions or hear people's concerns on this issue....I can be reached at 303-791-1957 x 4132

Tom Metsa
Colorado State Parks
State OHV/Snowmobile Program Manager
303-791-1957 x 4132

That was supposedly sent to the Stay The Trail folks and others in the post I have read called and talked to folks in the Colorado State Dept. of Parks that were in deed saying full size registered DD's need the permit. And it was even posted that folks were stopped and received a warning for not having a permit.

So again I ask if other states require an off road permit? Some posts I read said they do in Arizona, and maybe Oregon or Washington. But I was asking for the details of where they were required, how much they cost, who inforced them. The reaso being if permits can be required in one state it would seem they could also be required in another like Colorado.

This is a link on a law siut against the Colorado State Board of Parks. http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=3396.0 That deals with the same fee program. Hard to believe the two have nothing to do with each other.

Anyone know folks in any of the public use promotion organizations? As I stated I tried the United site but can not post (registered and been waiting weeks to be activated) and the board is pretty slow. Blue Ribbon used to be supported ($$$$) mainly by ATV and Snowmobile companies and were not as involved in full size 4x4 issues.

But from what I have read on 3 different threads is that folks in Colorado are posting that they have been told it is required and went down and purchased off road permits for registered DD 4x4 vehicles. And it was also posted that folks have been stopped and warned to purchase the permit.

The whole thing is strange. Really wish I could find some info from a group like United on this.

Back