• Register Today It's free!

Off Roading noobie

Skrumpy

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I'm very strongly considering getting a 98 Ford explorer since I need a new car and it's within my budget.

I was going to take it off roading a bit not beat the crap out of it but every once in a while for fun.

Anyways. What are some things I should to do the Explorer to make it more off road friendly because I know stock isn't the best idea usually.

I was thinking getting either a body or suspension lift.

I want it lifted a bit but not too much where it just looks stupid and I was thinking all terrain tires. So what if anything should I add to my shopping list of upgrades? :]

1. All terrain tires
2. Body and/or Suspension lift
3. ??

Any help would be great. Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, welcome to the site

Second, this section of the forum is for planning events, not getting info and advice. You should be looking in the sections dealing with modifications, suspension, and wheels and tires.

Third, read through some of the existing threads in other sections, they will have the answers you are looking for, including tire size, pros and cons to body lift vs. suspension lift, etc. No need to start a new thread to cover topics that have been discussed plenty of times before.

The answer to question 3. ?? is "locker"

And I'm moving this to the modified 95-01 subforum.

You're welcome :)

Get some AT's and a TT & some shackles or AAL. Probably the cheapest and easiest little lift you can get.

I was going to take it off roading a bit not beat the crap out of it but every once in a while for fun.

Hey Skrumpy, I'm a Long Islander from Suffolk County. What kind of off-roading do you plan on doing? There really isn't much out here apart from the beaches and to be honest a stock Ex can handle that. I take my '96 XLT to the Smith's Point cuts and ORV trails and it does just fine. The Smith's Point trails aren't that bad but its 5 miles worth of trails (don't quote me on it but its a long drive) and it's a bad place to be if you break down. Like any Explorer owner, a little more ground clearance would be great but otherwise stock is just fine. It's absolutely amazing in the snow and mud.

Back