off roading power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

off roading power

hey guys how goes it ? I am starting my winter project planning and thought i would come in her for advice. i've been reading a ton but not sure if this combo will help me out.
i have the great 2000 xls 4x4 with the 4.0 ohv and the a4ld. These are the parts i want to add in :

Nissian Xtra supercharger
4.6 mustang throttle body
comp cams 410 cam
24# lb injectors
tuner/flasher from bama

i know the tranny is a weak link so no need to keep i an swapin to a c4.

what else should i add in... i.e yes i know fmu for the s/c but did know about the chip from bama.

thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why dont you use a supercharger made for the Explorer?

on the one for the ohv would still be made by whom? every one did make them stopped as far as i can find out

There is a centrifugal(think I botched that spelling) still made for the OHV. You might have to use the BBK 66mm(?) throttle body.

You have the 5R55E tranny, much stronger than its older bro, the A4LD, but still a weak link, as well as the transfercase.

i was/am under the understanding that centrifugal type superchargers generate power at higher rpms than a roots type.. and not too mention the price difference...

IAmTodd said:
You have the 5R55E tranny, much stronger than its older bro, the A4LD, but still a weak link, as well as the transfercase.

i thought these only came in the sohc not the ohv's

edit: i looked up the trans code your right my bad. now i wonder if the c-4 swap will still work

'97 and up V6s(OHV or OHC) got the 5 speed 5R55E. '95-'96 had the 4R55E(electronically controlled A4LD)

found the s/c onebay here

i read somewhere i need new rods if i get the new cam the "410" needs like 5.550 or .05 longer is this true.. or wait till i get the cam in and see if its in thr dustructions.

bump? is that true?

no i got a 96 and i have a 5r55e

i have a 96 and was told by the tranny shop its a 4r44e

umm the is that true was for the comment about the longer rods... on the s/c located 99% of what i need, just waiting on the s/c so can start machining the manifold for it :) should be fun

A supercharger is not the best upgrade for off roading power, unless you are doing high speed off roading.
The OHV 4.0L makes alot of torque already

The 4.6L throttle body is not the correct choice for your engine.

If you want to make good power first start off with the basics, intake, exhaust, etc.

If you want to go off road and run big tires, spend your $$$ on gears and lockers.
The C4 auto will not be easy in your truck, the truck would have to be converted to OBD-II 5 speed computer and wiring first.
The C4/5 will lose you overdrive.

410Fortune said:
A supercharger is not the best upgrade for off roading power, unless you are doing high speed off roading.
The OHV 4.0L makes alot of torque already

The 4.6L throttle body is not the correct choice for your engine.

If you want to make good power first start off with the basics, intake, exhaust, etc.

If you want to go off road and run big tires, spend your $$$ on gears and lockers.
The C4 auto will not be easy in your truck, the truck would have to be converted to OBD-II 5 speed computer and wiring first.
The C4/5 will lose you overdrive.

thanks for the reply 410Fortune. I decide on the root style supercharger because it builds decent power at lower rpms. while not a big help off road in conjuction with the comp cam "410" and a port and polish it should give me more power on and off road.. got to be able to get it there in order to wheel it. done the intake i feel it didn't do a whole for me. for the exhaust stock is fine i could port the heads to the header do a cat back, righ t now i feel i would lose more torque by putting on headers.. could dnyo it to prove it i believe.

Transmission.. undecided.. my pops thinks i should machine or buy an adapter go with the 700r4 or the mustang t-5. for now i am going to replace my valve body (might help if next time i looked up the numbers instead of assuming) on my 5r55e. i'll be tearin it down soon as my cast is off... going to a manual will be more work but i think worth it, but the again i love having an automatic

oh on the throttle body i am just going with a bbk ang i got gears 4.56s even :) the front locker will wait till i decide wether or not to keep the ifs or go solid but thats after i increase my power and before i get more lift.

update on this for you all

ok. first thanks to everyone for replying 410 on the header you remember if anyone dyno tuner with them? forgot to ask

anyway the supercharger should be here sometime this week. I spent today tracing wiring, vacuum lines and parts. I emailed doug via his online bamachips about using the stock fuel system... anyone have any pointer on this for me? i've read and researched everything online about installing a s/c.Making the manifoold is no problem i may make a few extra if there is a demand for them.

oh on or about the mid of sept i will be hitting the dyno to get a before on this. Not sure if i'll do the cam first or after the install

oh yea, i know i and grabing the bbk or when i make the adapter for the s.c i can do what i want for a TB

Once you are boosted you will not make more power w/o headers, but yes if you bolt on headers now you lose low end for sure.

Now I am confused, are you going supercharged or not?

The stock fuel system you will want to modify a bit to keep up with the blower. 24# injectors, a Lightning?mustang fuel pump, mass air meter calibrated fort he injectors, and likely adjustable pressure regulator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
Once you are boosted you will not make more power w/o headers, but yes if you bolt on headers now you lose low end for sure.

Now I am confused, are you going supercharged or not?

The stock fuel system you will want to modify a bit to keep up with the blower. 24# injectors, a Lightning?mustang fuel pump, mass air meter calibrated fort he injectors, and likely adjustable pressure regulator.

hmmm. n the headers thats a wait and see thing.. i know the pros and cons.. right now they are not in the budget

the supercharger will be here friday according to ups.

24# injectors, maf and adjustable pressure regulator are all on the list along with a return fuel system mod. the parts i got bookmark on summit.. i should post the links to get everyones opinion on them.

Back