• Register Today It's free!

Official Tool thread...

oldschool4life

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport
I putting together a toolbag/box to keep in my '02 Sport; what would you recommend as minimum (wrench size, socket size, specialty ones, etc...)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has this bizare 5.5 mm socket various places.
Other than that 8mm, 11mm, and 13mm and phillips screws seem to rule the body and interrior domaine.

i have a set of metric and amarican sockets,extentions,wrachets,set of screw drivers(phillps/regular),tow strap,jumper cables,duct tape,road flares..just incase

Pretty much all the metrics plus a 1.25" socket for the spindle nut.

All good answers/responses. Just make sure you have a good jack, and maybe some "fix-a-flat" type stuff. Is this just for driving around or for offroad. Cause if it's for Off-road use, then I could tell you tons of things you'll need.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
All good answers/responses. Just make sure you have a good jack, and maybe some "fix-a-flat" type stuff. Is this just for driving around or for offroad. Cause if it's for Off-road use, then I could tell you tons of things you'll need.

-Drew

It's just a bag o'tools that will be kept in the truck; just enough to do damage if I break down (little replacements like: battery, belt(s), hose, bulbs, etc...).

I got a pile of tools; I just need to know what to dig out.

It's hard to store a replacement battery. One, it can be useless if it is just sitting there. Two, battery acid isn't exactly "chemical/envriomental friendly". Bulbs aren't that big of a deal, cause those can wait until you get home. Now, if your doing illegal activity, keeping up with bulbs so you don't get pulled is critical -- but I'm sure we at the forum don't want to hear about that type of activity. Anyway, a belt might be useful; but explorers aren't known for throwing belts. Engine oil would be good to have - just a quart. Maybe some antifreeze as well. Just the vitals!

-Drew

Vice grips? I know they damage stuff, but they will grip about anything in an emergency.

I wouldn't use the Fix-A-Flat stuff, it will ruin your tire. I would get a tire plug kit, and a electric pump. Jumper cables are always handy too.

I agree with Ray. That Fix-a-flat is junk, and makes the tire useless. Put some JB Weld in there too.

AAA card, all ya need

spindlecone said:
AAA card, all ya need

I have one; but, I still would like to keep "basic" tools in a tool bag (let's say I need these three or four sockets - that's what I'll carry).

spindlecone said:
AAA card, all ya need
And a Cell phone and car charger... Or comfortable walking shoes. ;)

Every one says fix-a-flat is junk and this is 100% true.

BUT !!!!!!!! If for what ever reason you DO use Fix-a-flat ( or any other tire inflator / sealant product )
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell the technician who is fixing your tire.

That stuff is NASTY. It ruines your day to get that stuff on you.
You smell the rest of the day. :(

Well, I finally started to assemble the tool bag.

1. 1/4 inch drive sockets (standard-n-metric up to 1/2inch-n-12mm)
2. Various screwdrivers
3. Multimeter
4. Various pliers (cutters/strippers/vice grip)
5. Electrical tape
6. Various wire ties
7. Various connectors (one time crimp/re-usable)
8. Various wire (4 guage for battery use/regular wire for multiple use/maybe speaker wire for audio use)
9. Various wrenches (adjustable/some standard-n-metric combination wrenches (not all sizes) whatever I had)
10. WD40

Also:
1. First-aid kit
2. Eye wash
3. Flares
4. Jumper cables
5. Various cleaning supplies (glass wipes/general wipes/protectant wipes/baby-style wipes (for the hands)/paper towels)
6. Shop rags
7. Safety glasses
8. Gloves
9. Rubber mat (it's in there anyway) - to be used in case I have to lay on the ground

Anything else I might need???

I'd add a couple of torx bits. I guess not a huge thing, but I always seem to need a t20 to take that cover off the intake. Oh, and where is the duct tape? That stuff does everything!!! :D And prob a flash light, there is never enough light at night.

MONMIX said:
Every one says fix-a-flat is junk and this is 100% true.

BUT !!!!!!!! If for what ever reason you DO use Fix-a-flat ( or any other tire inflator / sealant product )
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell the technician who is fixing your tire.

That stuff is NASTY. It ruines your day to get that stuff on you.
You smell the rest of the day. :(

I would not use it unless you absolutly have to. There are some places that won't even touch your tire if you have used it.

Also add 7mm socket to the other list.

oldschool4life said:
Well, I finally started to assemble the tool bag.

1. 1/4 inch drive sockets (standard-n-metric up to 1/2inch-n-12mm)
2. Various screwdrivers
3. Multimeter
4. Various pliers (cutters/strippers/vice grip)
5. Electrical tape
6. Various wire ties
7. Various connectors (one time crimp/re-usable)
8. Various wire (4 guage for battery use/regular wire for multiple use/maybe speaker wire for audio use)
9. Various wrenches (adjustable/some standard-n-metric combination wrenches (not all sizes) whatever I had)
10. WD40

Also:
1. First-aid kit
2. Eye wash
3. Flares
4. Jumper cables
5. Various cleaning supplies (glass wipes/general wipes/protectant wipes/baby-style wipes (for the hands)/paper towels)
6. Shop rags
7. Safety glasses
8. Gloves
9. Rubber mat (it's in there anyway) - to be used in case I have to lay on the ground

Anything else I might need???

A good flashlight.

What kind of container do you plan to store this stuff in? Where in the truck do you plan to store the container?

The rubber mat lays in the cargo area (as it always has).

Most items will be in a tool bag (strapped down on two of the hooks; other items will be in the cargo pocket (no Stealthbox or factory subwoofer). If I need to carry anything, I relocate the bag to the front.

Adding:
1. Flashlight
2. Duct tape
3. Various bits - I may lose the screwdrivers and use a multi-purpose driver with bits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, which size sparkplug socket do i need???

...the "big" one?

Back