Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires

With the vehicle lowered and using a 285 tire, is there not a chance you will experience some rubbing on full turns?

Peter

On paper it doesn't look like it. A few of the ST guys are running 295/40/22 + 30 with no rubbing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On paper it doesn't look like it. A few of the ST guys are running 295/40/22 + 30 with no rubbing.

Quick update. I removed the Traxda lift and installed Steeda lowering springs, struts, shocks and rear sway bar. The 285/60/18 Toyo Proxes ST III on 18x8.5 Black Rhino Boxers with +12mm offset have no rubbing whatsoever, even at full lock and suspension compression. Tire/wheel combo also saved 3lbs per corner at 69 vs. 72 for the stock 20's. There is a 1/4" poke at the front and rears are flush.

Handling is drastically improved. Truck turn in is much crisper and chassis rotation at the rear feels great. It actually feels like my 2015 Mustang EB on 21" wheels and stock suspension. Ran it through 8 miles of mountain twisties (in Mexico) taking most corners at 80-90 mph. Didn't want to push harder as it was only 40F out and the 18" tires were also a little squishy loaded at these speeds. At normal speeds, the ride is very composed and just slightly stiffer. Strut/shock rebound is much better with no bounciness on dips. Brake dive is also much improved. Front lift on acceleration is reduced as well.

Also towed my 7.5x7x14ft 4000lb cargo trailer and the stiffer rear suspension helped considerably. Very stable, especially through turns and being passed. Power in the mountains was a non-issue, accelerating easily and maintaining any speed I wanted.

Overall, quite happy to have gone the lowered rather than lifted direction for my new goals with this Explorer. I feel like I can get much more enjoyment with this setup than I thought I could get lifted and going off road.

IMG_3819.jpeg IMG_3820.jpeg IMG_3821.jpeg IMG_3822.jpeg IMG_3823.jpeg

I have a 2020 XLT. I am looking for some snow rated A/T tires for a replacement for the OEM tires. I live in an area that gets snow, but not a lot. Normally a bad storm will give us 3-4 inches of wet snow that is gone in a few hours. I don't need snow tires, but I want something with a bit more aggressive tread to grab the wet snow a bit better. I also expect to move within the next few months to an area that gets a lot of rain. All I've found is the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires in the stock size. Does anyone have any experience with these or can recommend another tire? Anything Firestone is a no go.

I have a 2020 XLT. I am looking for some snow rated A/T tires for a replacement for the OEM tires. I live in an area that gets snow, but not a lot. Normally a bad storm will give us 3-4 inches of wet snow that is gone in a few hours. I don't need snow tires, but I want something with a bit more aggressive tread to grab the wet snow a bit better. I also expect to move within the next few months to an area that gets a lot of rain. All I've found is the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires in the stock size. Does anyone have any experience with these or can recommend another tire? Anything Firestone is a no go.
I did a lot of research and the Michelin CrossClimate 2s where the best all rounder. Amazing dry performance, good snow performance, and good tire wear. Price is a little more expensive but it seems worth it.

Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature.
Also there is this one in the 5th gen forum; All Terrain / Off Road Tires

Peter

I'm fully aware of that as I have posted similar posts like that about changing sizes. My point was simply to state the a wider tire can affect the ratios. I have also changed sizes with little to no change to the diameter variance.

Peter
Hey, looking for some tires to go on trail; any recommendations? Of course I'd prefer more pneumatics, but tire cost and tolerance obviously take precedence.

Hey, looking for some tires to go on trail; any recommendations? Of course I'd prefer more pneumatics, but tire cost and tolerance obviously take precedence.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you tried just going with the current tires or are they in need of replacement? I don't know of anyone here having taken an Aviator off-road or on trails. Keep in mind it's not really a true 4WD vehicle.
Your post was moved to this more appropriate thread.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you tried just going with the current tires or are they in need of replacement? I don't know of anyone here having taken an Aviator off-road or on trails. Keep in mind it's not really a true 4WD vehicle.
Your post was moved to this more appropriate thread.

Peter
Hey, thanks! I think we may have met on the explorer ST forum before?

I'm on 22" rn, so I've tried gravel... and grass, but I'm looking drive over sharp rocks to get as high up the mountain as possible. Also be driving Dallas Tx, to Blanca, Colorado -- so highway use too.

But Matthew Mconoghe did it in the commercials lol

Yessir, while I'm young and dumb, I'm an engineer; so I get the difference between AWD and 4WD. Just want to shorten the boring part of the hike as much as possible, and not get stuck (and protect the turbine rims). For my purposes I won't need all the torque available, I just need the clearance.

Here's the deal I'm seeing on FB Marketplace:

1684872083709.png

Any wisdom and criticisms welcome and appreciated. One question I hope to have answered, will these be ok on HWY? More questions to come...
Thanks again,
Chase

Hey, thanks! I think we may have met on the explorer ST forum before?

I'm on 22" rn, so I've tried gravel... and grass, but I'm looking drive over sharp rocks to get as high up the mountain as possible. Also be driving Dallas Tx, to Blanca, Colorado -- so highway use too.

But Matthew Mconoghe did it in the commercials lol

Yessir, while I'm young and dumb, I'm an engineer; so I get the difference between AWD and 4WD. Just want to shorten the boring part of the hike as much as possible, and not get stuck (and protect the turbine rims). For my purposes I won't need all the torque available, I just need the clearance.

Here's the deal I'm seeing on FB Marketplace:

View attachment 442041

Any wisdom and criticisms welcome and appreciated. One question I hope to have answered, will these be ok on HWY? More questions to come...
Thanks again,
Chase
Nice comparison, but I am not sure you can fit a 15" wheel over the brakes. Something to check, otherwise you can certainly got to an 18" wheel as it is standard on others like the Timberline.

=Vic=

Nice comparison, but I am not sure you can fit a 15" wheel over the brakes. Something to check, otherwise you can certainly got to an 18" wheel as it is standard on others like the Timberline.

=Vic=
I believe an 18" wheel is the minimum size that you could use on a 6th gen.

Peter

Back