Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires

SES9

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Do you think 18" rims 35 off set with 265/65 tires would work? I want to go up a tire size and get a bit of the off road look.
Yes that should work. Below is the comparison from my setup to what you are suggesting. You will have more clearance in all directions

Tiresize.com has a many calculator tools that you may find useful

1635452357328.png

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Do you think 18" rims 35 off set with 265/65 tires would work? I want to go up a tire size and get a bit of the off road look.
I used 18" steel Interceptor wheels with235/60R18 tires on my 2017 Platinum. 235/65R18 would have been an exact match for the 20" but I had these on my 2014 MKT so didn't want to spend the extra $$ on the vehicle which was a lease. If you are using that size to replace a 255/55R20 tire then it should work. 255/55 R20 vs 265/65 R18 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

Peter

Pedro504

2021 Explorer Platinum
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
That's the exact size aftermarket rims and Blizzak tires I recently put on my 2021 Platinum. Purchased from Tirerack and the wheels come in black also.

blizzak-4-IMG_8603.jpg blizzak-3-IMG_8617.jpg

Franz01234

Reaction score
City, State
Austria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST Hybrid
I run 255/70R18 with no modifications and xlt stock wheels. This is the largest tire i could fit with no rubbing and no modifications.

20211029_162256.jpg

Carbon23

Reaction score
City, State
Minden, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
On my '21 Limited, I'm going with the 1.5 Traxda lift and 265 60/R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W which is a 32.5 inch tire, 1.5 inches taller than stock. I also am using 1.5 inch adapters which will make the new tires have just a smidge of poke. Right now, the stock Michelins with the adapters sit flush with the fender and look great. I have test fit coming up in a week or so (need to install the lift first) to make sure everything fits with no rubbing.

I'll also recalibrate wheel size using Forscan to account for the larger tire diameter size.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.38.21 AM.png

SES9

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
On my '21 Limited, I'm going with the 1.5 Traxda lift and 265 60/R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W with is a 32.5 inch tire, 1.5 inches taller than stock. I also am using 1.5 inch adapters which will make the new tires have just a smidge of poke. Right now, the stock Michelins with the adapters sit flush with the fender and look great. I have test fit coming up in a week or so (need to install the lift first) to make sure everything fits with no rubbing.

I'll also recalibrate wheel size using Forscan to account for the larger tire diameter size.

View attachment 422869
Please post pictures with your setup when complete, I'm very interested to see how the lift looks with your setup. Also, I was not successful in recalibrating with Forscan so I would greatly appreciate some details on exactly how you do it if you have better results . I'm not very experienced with it and ended up giving up on it.

Carbon23

Reaction score
City, State
Minden, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
Please post pictures with your setup when complete, I'm very interested to see how the lift looks with your setup. Also, I was not successful in recalibrating with Forscan so I would greatly appreciate some details on exactly how you do it if you have better results . I'm not very experienced with it and ended up giving up on it.
Sure thing. Not much info on lifting/bigger tires on Gen6 Explorers. Gonna blaze my own trail ;)

I will be using this tool to assist in recalibration:
Is that what you tried with?

SES9

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Sure thing. Not much info on lifting/bigger tires on Gen6 Explorers. Gonna blaze my own trail ;)

I will be using this tool to assist in recalibration:
Is that what you tried with?
That looks familiar, but I can't say for sure as I was messing with it quite a while ago. I have a feeling I either missed the "step 3", or did something wrong in regard to that step.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
With 3% being the generally accepted nominal maximum difference in diameter, you are quite a bit over. Even modifying the size with FORScan, won't reduce the extra weight on the suspension or brake system. It may help features like ABS and Traction Control.

Peter

Carbon23

Reaction score
City, State
Minden, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
With 3% being the generally accepted nominal maximum difference in diameter, you are quite a bit over. Even modifying the size with FORScan, won't reduce the extra weight on the suspension or brake system. It may help features like ABS and Traction Control.

Peter

Yup. Understood. Adding about 20 pounds per wheel/tire but I'm willing to take the "risk". ;)

michael89

Reaction score
City, State
Aklavik
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Yes that should work. Below is the comparison from my setup to what you are suggesting. You will have more clearance in all directions

Tiresize.com has a many calculator tools that you may find useful

View attachment 422837
I finally had a chance to play with the calculator. It looks like I would be able to use stock 20” rims with the 37.5 offset with 275/55r20 tires using a 3mm spacer right? Do you know If I would need longer wheel studs with 3mm spacers?

SES9

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I finally had a chance to play with the calculator. It looks like I would be able to use stock 20” rims with the 37.5 offset with 275/55r20 tires using a 3mm spacer right? Do you know If I would need longer wheel studs with 3mm spacers?
I do not know the answer to that. My gut feel is that it probably would be fine, but you would have to confirm how many threads are still engaged with that setup.

Carbon23

Reaction score
City, State
Minden, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited

Just a quick update. I ended up going with an 18x8.5 +12mm offset wheel and 275 65/R18 which is a 32" tire rather than the 265 60/R20 which is 32.5". Waiting on the wheels/tires to be shipped to me. When I get them, I will install the lift and post pics.

Pedro504

2021 Explorer Platinum
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
Speedometer info/comparison to WAZE navigation.

I have P265/65 R18 Blizzaks on in place of the 275/45 R21 oem wheels/tires. Even though the Blizzak is a larger tire from a circumference perspective, about 2.5% using tire specs from the manufacturers, the speedometer is very close.
When using WAZE navigation on a connected iPhone/Apple CarPlay it reports the same speed as the vehicle speedometer. That's at 45 mph. Perhaps WAZE has a tolerance so results may not match as close as I'm seeing.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
With those tires, you'd be going 61.6 mph when the speedo reads 60.

Peter