Offroad Survival Bag | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad Survival Bag

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I was sitting around today wondering what I could do and DING DING DING! I found something. Clean out my survival bag. I originally got the survival bag idea about a year ago or so and after doing some research, I decided to put my own version together rather than buy a pre-made one. Some of the pre-made first aid kits alone can run upwards of $200. I probably only have $150 invested in my entire bag... including the bag. This bag STAYS in my X. If I'm ever in the situation where I need to take off, I like to know that I have a good stash of supplies with me. In the unfortunate event that I become stranded somewhere away from civilization, this bag should have most, hopefully all, of what I need to stay alive... hence the name "Survival Bag".

First and foremost, I had to buy the bag... duh. I chose a water-resistant Rocky duffle bag. I'm not sure of the exact dimentions, but its approximately 3 feet long.

Hopefully, we can learn a few tips/tricks from each other with this thread.

My bag currently contains:

-First Aid Kit (creams, bandages, gauze, wraps, splints, grooming/wound dress kit with scissors, etc.)
-Machete
-Gerber Gator (partially serrated)
-Signal mirror
-Gloves
-Ropes
-Huge Blue tarp
-100mph tape
-Jumper cables
-Flashlights with extra batteries
-Matches and fire starters
-Lighters
-Plastic grocery bags
-Ponchos
-Rain coat
-Bungee cords
-Small tool kit
-Fix-A-Flat
-Compass
-Handkerchiefs/shop rags
-Blanket (full size and emergency warmers)
-Flare gun
-Extra socks

Depending on the trip, I may also have a shotgun/rifle/handgun and peanuts/jerky/chips/etc. Also, the red container doubles as a water can. I usually carry a Leatherman Wave multi-tool, so it would be on hand as well as the 3 MagLites, extra lighters, extra Kershaw pocket knife that stays in the vehicle. I believe one of the last elements I need to add is a small camp set with a few small steel pots/cups for boiling water.

SurvivalBag.jpg

SurvivalGear.jpg

(NOTICE: This thread was made earlier today, but due to the forum rollback, it was deleted. The water boiling pot idea was brought to my attention by another member... I can't remember who, but thanks.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got more of a first aid kit than a survival kit, it's about 20"x16" mounted across the inside window. I like the idea of having something that you can grab and go, mines not vary mobile but its a well stocked first aid kit. I'll do an inventory and take some pics but its something that I started not too long ago and is still a work in progress.

Some Glo Sticks and maybe some water purifing tablets and water bottle is about the only thing I can think of adding to yours at the moment.

insert one thing of dental floss, with a couple of fish hooks.

might not want to rely on matchs a mag-bar or a solid starting fuel like a bic lighter works great.

If your planning on going to the middle of nowhere you should also have a small kit in case you have to leave the vehicle. Like exploringNc said water bottle. I have a colapsable 5 gal bag and a 1 liter bottle. in the one liter bottle is also my small portable kit.

Everything in the Kit should serve two purposes. Its a good start...

Disclaimer: I know nothing. Never will and stuff like that :p

Nice kit :thumbsup:.

zhanx has a good point, too. I think "survival" in many cases may depend on what you can put on your back, so I use a somewhat smaller 'car kit' and also keep a backpack with 5 liters of water, basic first aid, space blanket and heat sticks in it as well.

I haven't done this yet, but it would be a good idea to have one or two small, collapsible backpacks tossed in there empty for passengers. No huge frames. Just things which can easily be stuffed full of whatever might be needed for a trek through unknown conditions and put on the back of an adult, child or dog.

Some great ideas there guys.

In the clear plastic bag beside the red can/container, I have an assortment of lighters, waterproof matches, and regular matches as well as the fire starters. That bag is sealed in the event that the X finds its way into a river, pond, etc. That bag is kept in the red container for further waterproofing. Then of course, the duffle bag itself is water-resistant, so hopefully my fire starting supplies will stay dry. Its funny that someone mentioned a mag bar. I was at Gander Mountain the other day and they were sold out... lol.

The small first aid/survival kit that is in my glove box has a couple fish hooks and some line, but its a really good idea to put something like that in the bag if I've just gotta grab one thing real quick and get out of there... cabin fire... submersed in water, etc. If I know I'm going to be around a good fishing hole, theres a good chance that I'll have a couple rods and a tackle box with me.

I really like the idea of putting a couple smaller duffle bags/back packs in there. As it is right now, the bag probably weighs 25-30lbs. It would definately help to slip some of the gear up into seperate bags while on a long trek. 25-30lbs isn't that much, but when/if you're traversing rugged terrain, it can get in the way... tack on 3 gallons of water at 8lbs. a gallon and you're looking at a sore back.

I hope this thread is proving to be useful for others... it sure is for me. Even if I never have to use this stuff, its a pretty cheap insurance policy that could be the difference between life or death.

You may never need abandon the vehicle in an emergancy but if you do alot of rough camping alot of those items may come in real handy. I go to the mountains in NC every chance I get and by the time I finally find a spot on some back woods dirt road I'm hours away from any gas station or store.

Some dehydrated food may be a good idea.

the rule of thumb for me is to keep it under 85 pounds. But i'm 6'4" 230 and been thru the training for it. And The BIGGEST thing in a survial situation is water. Everything else just helps.

Disclaimer: I know nothing. Never will and stuff like that :p

I like this, just might use this for my signature-if you don't mind--:p:

MRE's!!!!!

MRE aka Mr.E or Mysterys suck but work, the cilivian ones are much better.

I put this in yesterday but steel wool and a 9v battery is a good fire starter. Its pretty much waterproof, but the steel wool will ignite fast, so you need to make sure you have it properly placed with kindling.

I put this in yesterday but steel wool and a 9v battery is a good fire starter. Its pretty much waterproof, but the steel wool will ignite fast, so you need to make sure you have it properly placed with kindling.

Thats a good one or even better is magnesium and flint.

fyi a mag-bar is magnesium..

looking tho my kit today..my personal carry survival kit has the following zip lock bags - 1 quart size(2ea) and alminum(sp) foil. a tea candle, one small spool rewrapped with spider wire fishing line. 3 hooks 3 sinkers. razor blade. small mirror off a mirror tool. Emergency Blanket. two iodine tablets bottles. one pen flare gun with 3 flares. button compass. 2 needles. 3 gauge pads. all this fits in a lexon water bottle. everything has a duel purpose... iodine tablets water / wounds emergency blanket warmth / shelter / signal device etc..

no lights or anything but i have lots of experience in the woods at night.

edit thinking about your idea for a car one but i might use a cooler instead.

Back