Offroaders, how many wheel with slider? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroaders, how many wheel with slider?

Who has sliders?

• Me. I like to keep it looking pretty.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Not me. Sliders are for sissies.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • I have them, but haven't had a chance to use them

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I would if I could, but I can't (wallet issues) so I don't

Votes: 51 54.3%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are the next thing I am getting! :bounce: Probably have them by mid/end of Feb.

So, where's the option for "using @#$$@ step bars for now and waiting to see how quickly they get destroyed first"

Or, read another way, one off road trips and its time to fix the step bar again....

sberkel said:
So, where's the option for "using @#$$@ step bars for now and waiting to see how quickly they get destroyed first"

Or, read another way, one off road trips and its time to fix the step bar again....

haha yea you used them pretty good last weekend, as well as the rear quarterpanel as a large stick collector :hammer:

Quarterpanel was amazing! Bent it back by hand and can't tell it was that bent up. I wish I got pics 'cause no one at work believes me.

I think I broke the bolts or maybe even the body mount points for the driver side step bar - I can't tell yet, the mud is still frozen on it and I'd have to use a chisel before taking a closer look. :D

sberkel said:
Quarterpanel was amazing! Bent it back by hand and can't tell it was that bent up. I wish I got pics 'cause no one at work believes me.

I think I broke the bolts or maybe even the body mount points for the driver side step bar - I can't tell yet, the mud is still frozen on it and I'd have to use a chisel before taking a closer look. :D

yea to bad we didnt get a pic :p

Jefe said:
I agree. 1/8" or .120 wall will bend/dent with a good hit. Heck, just look at Diff Wack Daddy's slider after the :roll:

154MVC-512S.jpg

after seeing that I think all my sliders I'm going to build are going to be 1/4" :eek:

Jefe said:
I agree. 1/8" or .120 wall will bend/dent with a good hit. Heck, just look at Diff Wack Daddy's slider after the :roll:

Okay, but I used 3/16 and have not had any problems in over one year of heavy off-roading.

Where's the "I would have them but I'm stuck at school so can't make them till next summer" option?

Savage, I don't think 1/4 inch sliders would stand up to rolling 30 feet down an embankment and landing on a tree. If you make them to withstand that kind of hit, you might as well build a buggy, cause an Explorer won't live through that.

BKennedy said:
Savage, I don't think 1/4 inch sliders would stand up to rolling 30 feet down an embankment and landing on a tree. If you make them to withstand that kind of hit, you might as well build a buggy, cause an Explorer won't live through that.

I would have to agree with you on that Brian.

I do have sliders they are 2x2 with a 1.5" OD kick out tube. I am not sure but think they are made out of .120 wall. They come in handy as I added them for my wife when she was pregnant. This was so she could get in and out of the truck as it was our only vehicle at the time. I had them built for off road use and to double as step bars for her. At the truck haven 05 event they paid for themselves in the shear fact they gave me a pivot point and kept from crushing my doors in on large rocks/hills.

Mine are 2X4 3/16 thick with a 1-1/2" .120 wall tubing to bring the rocks father away from the body, and provide more of a step for entry, and slider monkeys (friends standing on the slider to keep the truck from tipping over). I have already bent the tubing slightly up on one side on the Swamp trail at Shaver, but I was using it as a pivot point to fit in between the four foot tall rocks. I can also Hi-lift jack both tires off the ground on that .120 wall tubing without bending it.

2 inch tube welded to plates on the frame, .180 wall.

I would love to find a place to get some made, Chris, you know of any around Ft. Collins

Tim

BKennedy said:

well no one told me that :p I'm in the process of building my sliders now, 2x4ish inch square tube thats 3/16" or 1/8" (i forgot) that i had laying around, i have both main tubes made and 4 of the mounts I'm using, one side assembled, other got shoved in a corner cause I had a pita project come up for a snow removal contractor to make a swing away salter mount... thead on the silder coming soon :D (with alot of pics)

I don't really know any off hand that would specialize in making them. Where I work at Fort Collins 4x4, we would customize them, but I warn you it wouldn't be too cheap. The other two "main" 4x4 shops is Bullhide 4x4 down south on College, or MTO but they don't do very quality work at all.

I voted yes since i'm working on a set of sliders as we speak, i'm using 1.75" OD x 120. wall for the main runners and frame supports and 1.5" OD x .120 wall for some quarter panel protection which comes up from the main runners.
See my sliders post for more info and pics.

bmxking5 said:
They are the next thing I am getting! :bounce: Probably have them by mid/end of Feb.
I didn't get them in Feb, like I wanted. But I did just get off the phone with the shop who's building them. I am going to go in next Thursday to get them on! :bounce: I can't wait!

EDIT: The shop will be building sliders that will be the same as JasonB's sliders. (Except for the big Tellico dent on the driver's side ;))

Mine are 2x2 square tubing .25" wall tubing. I plan on adding a round tube off them to help protect the doors eventually.

Attachments

• slider4.jpg
    slider4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 468

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are a couple of pix of the sliders I'm building for Ben (Blee1099). This morning I welded the endcaps in place and ground 'em down smooth. The sliders are 2 x 3 x 1/4" wall, the supports are 2x2x 1/4" wall, and the mounting plates are 1/4" plate material. More pix will follow next weekend when we do the install.

BTW, material costs are right around $100, at least from the Amish shop I deal with.

Attachments

• slider1.jpg
    slider1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 450
  • slider2.jpg
    slider2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 442

Back