• Register Today It's free!

Offroading Hawaiian Style

ohe_boy

Reaction score
City, State
Kane'ohe, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4x4 XLT
Here, I'll supply the forum with pictures and videos of offroading in Hawaii since some may not have the chance to do some Island Wheeling.

I'll start off with some pics of my last run with some other island wheeler clubs such as oahujeepers.com and 4x4boyz.com...

This is Peacock Flats on the Island of Oahu:

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_37751.jpg

02-17-08Flats5a.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

And some video links:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Carmen96816/Offroading/Peacock%20Flats/?action=view&current=02-17-08FlatsJeep.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Carmen96816/Offroading/Peacock%20Flats/?action=view&current=02-17-08FlatsExp3.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Carmen96816/Offroading/Peacock%20Flats/?action=view&current=02-17-08FlatsExp1.flv

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i havent even been to Hawaii let alone Wheel there thats fn' sweet...New York needs more offroad trails

Dude that Jeep is fricken awsome, love the color. Oh yea nice X TOO:D

I've always liked your explorer a lot, and from that second video it looks like it has an impressive amount of flex.

I have a question, does the driver in the Nissan Armada take that thing through the tough stuff with you?

Awesome terrain and scenery -- wow its breathtaking!

That's volcanic ashes/runout you're running on in some of those photos right? Reminds me of my childhood days in the Philippines when we used to take trips up to the volcano a week or two after an eruption (after the aftershocks) -- the ground looked like that, except a bit lighter in color.

Man IZ is right about the terrain and scenery. 100%

Also you are the perfect guy to ask. You have the radials right? If so how much mileage do you have on them?

Edit: Do you still have the BL?

i havent even been to Hawaii let alone Wheel there thats fn' sweet...New York needs more offroad trails

As soon as I can get them downloaded, I'll put more pics up!

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Dude that Jeep is fricken awsome, love the color. Oh yea nice X TOO:D

Yah that jeep is awesome! I got a couple more pics of it somewhere. I'll post more when I find them!

Oh, yah thanks for the comp on my X too!!;)

I've always liked your explorer a lot, and from that second video it looks like it has an impressive amount of flex.

I have a question, does the driver in the Nissan Armada take that thing through the tough stuff with you?

Thanks, mounty71. I've spent a lot of time and money on this thing and I'm glad I finally got it done! I'm happy about the flex it has, but it has surfaced more problems.... brake lines acts as limit straps. Gonna have to find longer ones!!!

There's some pics I have that shows the brake lines fully extended!! I'll get them on here when I can.

The guy that drove the Armada did his best at whatever he thought he had a slight chance at. For that I give him props. Then there were areas where he had no choice but to go through them. That was the crazy part of it all. My X sits a little higher then his Armada, and I had branches going across my windshield at some points and there was no where for him to go but through. His Armada got some scratches and dings but nothing real bad. To take a thing like that, which is not even paid for is brave. But then, I don't think he really knew what he was getting himself into.

I got some pics of him going through some obstacles, I'll get them on here when I can.

Awesome terrain and scenery -- wow its breathtaking!

That's volcanic ashes/runout you're running on in some of those photos right? Reminds me of my childhood days in the Philippines when we used to take trips up to the volcano a week or two after an eruption (after the aftershocks) -- the ground looked like that, except a bit lighter in color.

IZ, the scenery is great up there. Imagine you're up on a mountain top. Ocean is to the right, trees and hills to the left. You're on the west side. You go through an obstacle and some hills. Next thing you know, the ocean is on your left and trees and hills are now on your right. You're on the North side. Its a real cool place to be. There's a camp ground there where you can bring your family and your kids can run around. Sad thing about it, is that its one of the only places with sights like this (since we are on an island) but it makes it that more appreciatable. (if thats even a word?)

I'm not sure if thats volcanic ashes/runout up there, but it could be. I'm not a geologist or anything, but I think its just the color of the clay-like mud thats up there. Not all places on the island have this type of dirt but it gets real slippery when wet. But I know that the island of Hawaii (aka Big Island) has some active volcanos and the "vog" (volcanic-fog) reaches over to O'ahu. Maybe when it rains, the vog settles on the mountain tops??? Thats interesting...I'll go find out what is that...cause you can see that the same mountain has different color of dirt. in one photo, you see a reddish color, where in the next, you see a grayish color. The reddish color is usually being covered by trees, where the grayish color is exposed to open air.

IZ you gave me something to think about!!! Now I got homework!! dammit!!!:p:

Thanks IZ

Man IZ is right about the terrain and scenery. 100%

Also you are the perfect guy to ask. You have the radials right? If so how much mileage do you have on them?

Edit: Do you still have the BL?

Yah, I have the radials. Im not sure on the mileage on them so far, but I've had this set up for over a year now, and based on a typical yearly mileage in Hawaii, its prolly around the range of 12K miles on it. +/- a 1000.

I can say that this tire (36x13.5x15 IROK Radials) have lasted a hell of a lot longer then the Baja Claws Radials I had. By this time, the Claws would've been less then 50% left. The IROKs are prolly at 80-90% left. But then again, I had them darn TTBs when I had the claws. So I'm not sure what really is at fault.

The only bad thing about the IROK Radials (36x13.5x15's anyway) is that, its not so street friendly and I have a lot of drift and bounce. The tire is so unbalanced that even with 16 oz. on the tire, its still un balanced. Took it to 4WP and they said that a lot of customers have mentioned the same thing and that its just a characteristic of the tire. Oh well, I didn't build a cadillac now did I?? Well who knows, I do a straight solid axle too?!?!?! Hmmmm....???

Any input?

BTW - I still have the 3" BL on!!! Why, you think I should go higher???:D

Thanks guys for all the compliments and replys. I didn't expect so much in such short time! I got a hint from a friend on here that I should post some pics of my wheeling trips here in Hawaii since some here may not have the chance to. But if any of you do have the opportunity to fly here to Hawaii (particularly O'ahu) and want to do some wheeling, just let me know and we'll arrange something!

Back