• Register Today It's free!

Offroading on the beach

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Anyone ever take their explorer on the beach? I usually go to Cape Hatteras once or twice a year and drive out on the beach. I have not been since I bought my Explorer. I am curious if anyone else has took theirs in the sand. My previous vehicles I have used for this were more suited for off road so I am wondering how well the Explorer will handle it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you find out ey let us know. I have an 05 and I am hesitent about taking it on the beach because of low clearance. Last year at Nags Head I did see a few on the beach, none were stuuck. I have 91 on 33s so it usually gets beach duty, but driving two vehicles is expensive these days.

It will handle the beach with no problems.

I remember seeing a couple of first generation explorers getting stuck down there. Of course that does not mean much any vehicle can get stuck. Usually it is because they do not air down their tires.

Air down! and watch where you go, no sweat.
Ive had mine 03 xlt out many times from Oregon inlet to the Point, with stock tires . Im up graded now to 265/75/16 Goelanders, that should be even better. I would add tow hooks up front and by all means take a snatch strap, you never know. I've seen some nice trucks stuck so its about knowing how to drive the beach. My past and present beach rides 83 Subaru 4x4 wagon, 87 Ford Ranger STX, 93 Ford F150, 03 Explorer Xlt W/ tow pac, 06 Expedition. I got stuck once in the Subaru, not a bad record. Been heading south for 30+ years

Air down! and watch where you go, no sweat.
Ive had mine 03 xlt out many times from Oregon inlet to the Point, with stock tires . Im up graded now to 265/75/16 Goelanders, that should be even better. I would add tow hooks up front and by all means take a snatch strap, you never know. I've seen some nice trucks stuck so its about knowing how to drive the beach. My past and present beach rides 83 Subaru 4x4 wagon, 87 Ford Ranger STX, 93 Ford F150, 03 Explorer Xlt W/ tow pac, 06 Expedition. I got stuck once in the Subaru, not a bad record. Been heading south for 30+ years

Sounds like you've got pretty much exactly the same truck as me, '03 w/tow package AND the 265 Geos haha. Do you have the V6 or V8? I've got the 6 :(.

Anyways I plan to head out to the Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan sometime this summer, it's good to know yours did pretty well even stock.

6, she does ok though. I just ordered a air induction kit and will get a flowmaster muff next day or so not sure which one yet, I dont want a lot of extra noise may be Delta 50. Ya know the beach is like any trail stay on it and you'll be ok. I had a friend with a jacked up f150 tires rims sweet set up for sure, He was hot dogging got to close to the tide line. Well by the time he got some help she was gone. We all left the camp ground (Frisco Woods) to watch the ol atlantic do her thing, I'll bet he didnt have 2,500 miles on that thing. The park service had to use a bull dozer to haul it out after the tide went back out.

6, she does ok though. I just ordered a air induction kit and will get a flowmaster muff next day or so not sure which one yet, I dont want a lot of extra noise may be Delta 50. Ya know the beach is like any trail stay on it and you'll be ok. I had a friend with a jacked up f150 tires rims sweet set up for sure, He was hot dogging got to close to the tide line. Well by the time he got some help she was gone. We all left the camp ground (Frisco Woods) to watch the ol atlantic do her thing, I'll bet he didnt have 2,500 miles on that thing. The park service had to use a bull dozer to haul it out after the tide went back out.

It actually dragged the truck into the ocean??? damnnnn that must have been painful to watch.

Anyways funny you should mention mufflers I JUST got the Flowmaster 50 SUV Performance muffler put on a couple days ago. I'm liking it so far, pretty quiet inside but definitely noticeable. All my friends seem to think it sounds good.

Well it kind of sunk real good leaning way down on the ocean side, I guess about 1/2 up the door in the sand, the water was up to the cab windows. Total loss. Didnt hurt me a bit, the guy used to joke my Subaru which I drove out to watch a big 4x4 wrecker pull his bumpers off,
Good info on the Flowmaster, I'm old I need quite.

Just returned from Cape Hatteras NC. I attached a few pics. Exploders go like hell on the beach. I saw several with stock Michelin's. I even let the kids drive it this time, all over up and down all a round. I only dropped the Geolanders to 15 psi. course u can't climb the dunes but we went thru some deep soft sugar sand. Saw a 2wd explorer sport trac buried at the waters edge up in Corolla I think the guy was crying, no ****.

14 and 15 year old driver,
beachvacation07157.jpg

beachvacation07114.jpg

Dune top view
beachvacation07137.jpg

Nice Pic
beachvacation07443.jpg

Fat ass surfing
beachvacation07021.jpg

nice pictures

i just got back from the beach yesterday it was a lot of fun, i took it through the wet sand and all the really soft dry sand, no troubles at all. a lot of the time i was in 2wd because i forgot to put it back in 4x4 after doing doughnuts :D . i've got BFG mudders and didnt air down at all.

Back