• Register Today It's free!

Oh Boy,Hood Latch stuck

Lefty2053

Reaction score
City, State
Lazear Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
I was having a hard time getting the hood to shut. I was playing around with the latch and now the hood is shut but not all the way and it will not open again. It is stuck pretty good. Any ideas how to get it open again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solved sorta. Took out the 2 bolts holding the latch and the whole hood and latch pulled up. Once there the latch fell off. I fixed the latch in the corrrect position and oiled it up.

The sorta part is when I put it back together I broke off one of the bolts. Maybe on a cooler day I will tap it out and put in another bolt. I have been out here in 95 degree weather trying to fix this darn thing. At least it is shut correctly now and will be ok until another day. Gotta go ATVing tomorrow and needed the truck to pull a trailer.

Congrats on getting it kinda fixed :<)
Perhaps your release cable is dry and binding?
My release feels like I've pulled it as far
as is safe but hood does not open, pull a little
harder and it opens. I'm thinking of going
to the motorcycle shop and have them
shoot some cable lube through it.
Ya think?

2 words. Hood Pins. :)

Why go to a shop to have the cable lubed? Just disconnect the latch end, hold it up and spray some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench into the housing. Follow with some oil, atf is good to loosen the cable. Then periodically lube the cable. Do the same with the throttle and cruise control cables.

2 words. Hood Pins. :)

I was thinking about those just before I got it fixed. Still sounds like a good idea. There is 2 Rubber stops that the hood sits down on. Would I just take those out and put in the Hood pins there?I could put a little rubber over the pins to keep it from jiggling.

I was thinking about those just before I got it fixed. Still sounds like a good idea. There is 2 Rubber stops that the hood sits down on. Would I just take those out and put in the Hood pins there?I could put a little rubber over the pins to keep it from jiggling.

There's where I put mine.

Back