• Register Today It's free!

Oh geez... 4.0 ohv -> 5.0 swap

BradR

Reaction score
City, State
Novi, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EX 4.0 OHV
Okay, so a close friend of mine is buying a 98 or 99 Explorer with the 5.0 v8. and IF there is nothing wrong with it we talked about swapping it into my 99 Explorer with the OHV. Now, this means I get a possible better trans. :D :p

Anyways, I wanted to know if I'll need to take the t-case if I take the motor and trans, I know I need to take the motor and trans, but what else do I need? Because If I have to rip out all of the harnesses and systems, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

I'm still in school and have shop, and we have lifts and chain falls for a motor swap, I was thinking when we get the 5.0 X we'd pull it out that way my truck isn't down for very long.

And I have searched this forum for the last week and a half about doing a 5.0 swap and have found a lot of information, but everyones swap is different, there was people that had 97 5.0s they wanted to swap, and old mustang 5.0s they wanted to swap, no one really had the same year to year swap like I might be doing. I did see in one thread that 98-01 are all straight swappable and what not. I was also wondering if I was going to need to buy any bracketry or anything adapters or anything for the swap.

Thanks in advance for all the information to come. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have to swap harnesses, ECM, engine, trans, transfer case, drive shafts, modify the exhaust as I'm sure the 4.0 and 5.0 are different. Are you sure you have a OHV. If you indeed have a 99 then you have the SOCH engine.

You will have to swap harnesses, ECM, engine, trans, transfer case, drive shafts, modify the exhaust as I'm sure the 4.0 and 5.0 are different. Are you sure you have a OHV. If you indeed have a 99 then you have the SOCH engine.

Really?? I thought they used the ohv up through 2001? And then in 2002 the sohc was the only v6 or so i thought.

It's definitely OHV.
Geez, if I have to swap all that it's not worth it...

Thanks for the information guys. :)

Yeah it would make for a fun project. But it wouldnt be as bad since you have a donor vehicle. But i myself still woulndt tackle it either. Too much work.

Really?? I thought they used the ohv up through 2001? And then in 2002 the sohc was the only v6 or so i thought.

I have the 5.0 :D so I could be wrong. I thought the SOCH started mid year 1998.

The SOHC came in select explorers as of 97. I had a family friend with a 97 with a SOHC and I had a close friend with a 99 OHV. Im not sure what that factor is on which 4.0 is in which model.

The SOHC came in select explorers as of 97. I had a family friend with a 97 with a SOHC and I had a close friend with a 99 OHV. Im not sure what that factor is on which 4.0 is in which model.

just whatever it was built with. My 98 sport has the OHV

I believe that 2000 was the last year for the OHV.

4.0 sohc to 5.0

I have a 4.0 sohc, have donor vehicle an '98 eddie ex with 40k on the clock. so my trans will not work with the 5.0? Need to know how much work i gotta do. i really need some help. Not sure what model tranny i even have. 98 xlt vin e. can u guys help me?

:salute:

I have a 4.0 sohc, have donor vehicle an '98 eddie ex with 40k on the clock. so my trans will not work with the 5.0? Need to know how much work i gotta do. i really need some help. Not sure what model tranny i even have. 98 xlt vin e. can u guys help me?

The 5.0 uses a 4r70w transmission. I'm not sure what transmission you have. You will also have to use the AWD t-case (or a 4406 t-case) as the 4.0 t-case will not bolt to the 4r70w transmission.

The 5.0 uses a 4r70w transmission. I'm not sure what transmission you have. You will also have to use the AWD t-case (or a 4406 t-case) as the 4.0 t-case will not bolt to the 4r70w transmission.

I believe that I have the 5r55E. So i'm sure that I will have to use the
4R70W and transfuer case. I really want to do the swap. Seen that other people have done it, and i want to be part of that. Have lots of time on my hands, so time is not a factor.

how hard would it be to swap a 4.0 sohv to a 5.0 and keep the manual trans. on a 98 explorer

the only way you could do this is if you use a 5sp manual from a f150. you would also need other parts for the swap as well

What's wrong with the donor?? Why not swap parts from the ohv truck to the 5.0 and make it your truck.be much easier

Back