Oh No, Big Tow's or Recovery

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I was just about to rip up Vail Pass heading east, home from a camping trip and lost power Sunday.

I thought I lost the fuel pump, I fixed it yesterday as I was waiting on a pump. I installed it about a year ago. The damn tubing that came with the high volume Walbro kit was not rated for the pressure and blew! It was pumping right back into the tank. You got to love a $765 tow bill, a full days work, siphoning off almost a full tank and making the repair. All it took was a $2.50 piece of 5/16 high pressure fuel line. One could also add $60 as I had a fuel pump sent next day air. The youngster at Autozone tried to sell me the same tubing. I had to educate him, fuel line is not just fuel line and we did the conversion from Bar to PSI (1Bar = 14.5psi and tubing rated at 5.9Bar). Oh well, I have a spare pump now, that's good cause a stock pump won't fuel it. I am going to keep the spare in my rig.

The worst tow, time and expense, I had was after I installed a faulty voltage regulator in my boat and had a long tow on Lake Powell,

That's another story........what's yours?

On a dive trip to Catalina island, we lost the out-drive about 3/4 way there.
We go a tow in (by a sail-boat) slowly! We had a ball till it was time to come home.
The guy that owned the boat got an id10T (figure that code out) to tow us in for cheap!
The guy towing us almost got us run over by a BIG container ship!
Dummy said he thought the ship would give us leeway as we were under tow!
All you could see was steel forever and then the WAVES!

Changed a starter in an icy parking lot during a snow storm, elevation 10,000 feet, -10 degrees F. Took turns with my nephew turning wrench until the hands and fingers could not stand it anymore. Got that fixed, and headed back down to town for dinner and a hot shower. Brrrr…. (Self recovery.)

Changed a starter in an icy parking lot during a snow storm, elevation 10,000 feet, -10 degrees F. Took turns with my nephew turning wrench until the hands and fingers could not stand it anymore. Got that fixed, and headed back down to town for dinner and a hot shower. Brrrr…. (Self recovery.)
Reminds me of probably the wildest recovery I’ve ever seen. Buddy of mine was on a borrowed snowmobile and broke it through the ice and sunk it. He drove his V10 Dodge way back where I’d have been nervous to go, and stopped to his underwear. He then went out to the hole the snowmobile broke through and jumped and broke the ice the 60-70 feet to the bank, and then he used my receiver winch to slowly pull it out. It was probably 20 degrees out, but he was

I’ve been lucky as far as tows. My most expensive one was about $250 to be towed 15 miles to a Walmart. Blew a tire at 3am hours from home.

I broke a throttle cable 2 hours from home picking up a Subaru engine. Put a ring terminal on it from my electricians bag of tricks. Got a cable and forgot about it. Drove it for another two years with the ring terminal.

Back