Oh what to do, what to do... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oh what to do, what to do...

So I promised myself that I wouldn't try and do the McNeil front end conversion on the '92, but the guy I gave my old Explorer just gave me the fenders and hood back free of charge (also gave me the dome light, woo hoo!). I was going to go real mild on the '92 build up, but now I'm considering running the front fenders, getting some rear quarter panel flares, and hooking up some '95-'01 Explorer lights and mounting a header panel. I don't think I'm going to convert to a mountaineer afterall. I'll put the fiberglass on tomorrow and see what I think, it should inspire me. I'll get pics up when I do it, probably early in the morning. If I do run the fiberglass fenders, I'll also buy some 31" ATs and run like that for a while, no lift yet. I've always wanted to have a 'glassed, flaired out long travel prerunner...

Well, it looks like I might not get to it today, since I have to go to the job-finder office, but if I don't get the tools to work on the bmw by tomorrow, I'll do it then.

Didn't have time to remove fenders and put on new ones, so I just mocked them up for curiousity's sake. Bear in mind that everything is about 7/8" higher than it actually will be on the truck.

100_0987.jpg

100_0989.jpg

100_0990.jpg

Ok, now I'm reconsidering the fiberglass idea. With the four-wheeling I like to do, I realized that fiberglass might not to hold up too well. I need to think about what way I go with this build.

Anyone else do rocks/tight, twisty trails in the woods with fiberglass? Is it as fragile as it seems on the trail?

Back