oh ya know just another 2nd gen sas in the works | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oh ya know just another 2nd gen sas in the works

After many years of my 1996 XLT sitting in storage it is time to start collecting parts for the explorer build..
My set up will be a full width Dana 44\9", Wild Horses 5.5" springs 5:13 gears and locked front and rear. Seems to me thats what most people have done on here and seems to work great
Let the prosess begin
Here is my XLT With the basic torsion twist, shackles and body lift
l_95ec2028798c498da52b4baa6461f92c.jpg

Here is the 9" that i will be running (been sitting outside)
192522.jpg

ahh much better :)
173421.jpg

HP 44
hp44.jpg

My steering witch i will be running with a first gen box..i also have a James Duff drop pitman arm for a first gen made for a 5.5" lift
ylink.jpg

Other parts that i have are: Bronco 5.5" coil springs,Bronco coil buckets from Bronco Graveyard. Bronco shock towers, 7 Degree C-bushings. All i need now is to gear an lock my axles witch will be happening in a few weeks and find a set of solid axle radius arms and brackets...im sure im missing a bunch but it will all be purchaced or made during the build..I will keep you guys updated..like i said im going to buy mu gears,install kits etc in a few weeks as soon as the moneys there..enjoy!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This ex is sick!! I'm still nervous about swapping 1 axle in and you've done it 4 times lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha ya! it is comming together! the tires on there now are 36x14.5..kinda thinking about leaving the body lift on..what do u guys think?

You have a pic with the 36s? I wouldn't take out the BL but that's just me and I don't know how it sits right now. Only thing is if you make bumpers and sliders you'd have to modify them if you changed your mind at all

those are 36's in the pic..im thinking about taking the BL off..the only reason its on there is so i could clear 33's when it was IFS

Would that affect how much you can flex at all? I looks like the tires might hit the fenders if it was lower. If its good ditching the BL will lower you COG a little at least. I like the look of it as is but that's jmo

oh my god get rid of the body lift! they only give you problems.
if the tires dont fit get smaller ones or bust out the saws-all. as for sliders, to get more gound clearance just cut the rockers. thats what i did on my first go round and it not only looked better but worked better too.

Do you plan on driving this on the street? if so what tire and size were you thinking about using?

Problems? So many people run them here without issue. Plus they make it easier to work underneath. Besides who wants to run smaller tires? Lol

thanks for the input guys! hopefully i can work on this project soon..i have been busy..so im toying with the idea of doing a JP paint job on this rig..what do u guys think?

im sure you will be fine for light wheeling. but i saying if you roll it or flop it on its side that extra BL will fold.

not to mention it makes your center of gravity higher.
but do you thing its your rig. nice build!

That ex has a presence! Nice work man

alright folks i have been busy..but here it is

here is how i did my front shackles

image.jpg

Front Hanger

image-1.jpg

Bye bye crunple zones :thumbsup:

image-2.jpg

New plates welded in place

image-3.jpg

Muuuch better! :D

image-4.jpg