• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ohhh Dang!!! Somethings wrong with my dog.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
I'm so sorry to hear about this Jack.

How old is your son?

When my son was 4 or 5 I really don't remember our cat, well my wife's cat, became very ill and I had to put her down. She had this cat before she and I met, and the cat and I never got along to say the least. Nobody but my wife and my son could touch this cat. Well, it was really late one night and the cat became very sick, and I got up and got dressed and took her to the 24 hour emergency vet while my wife stayed at home with our son. She was very very sick, and I called my wife and told her that we really should put her down. Well, my son blamed me much the same way yours blames you. I never liked the cat, I was the one who took her to the vet, and because of that she never came back. Really all it took was us sitting down as a family and explaining to him that death is an inevitable part of life, and that the decision I made was so Deta could stop suffering and go on to heavan. He seemed to understand this and he got over his blame.

If your son is older, than he'll most likely reason it out on his own.

If I can offer a suggestion though, don't rush out and get another puppy. Give yourselves time to greive over your loss. Then getting a new pet wont be like trying to replace the old one, because you'll never be able to do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Thanks all, I picked up a Six pack of Coronas and called my sister.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
I'm so sorry to hear that sad news Jack...

It is amazing how you went from basically tolerating the dog, to tears when the end came...It just shows how much pets do make an impact on ones life without the person realizing it...

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
Things happen, it was truely meant to be that way or it wouldn't have happened. I'm sorry to hear you lost part of your family and I hope you have luck finding another pup.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Originally posted by AlaskanJack
Thanks all, I picked up a Six pack of Coronas and called my sister.

Sometimes thats just all ya can do. Hang in there.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
sorry to hear it, Jack. :( there must be something going around. my female Cane Corso just got home from the vet yesterday after a week stay.

about 3 weeks ago she became sick and started loosing weight rapidly. she had gotten hookworms, even though i worm her regularly. no problem, she was treated by the vet. thing is, she never started to put the weight back on. she kept loosing it. last week she started vomiting, so she went back to the vet again. seems as though she had swallowed a dish towel, and half of it was in her stomach, the other half in her intestine. had to remove 8" of intestine, and he said he has never in his life put more stitches in one dog. she is fine now, and is home. nothing but beef/chicken broth for 3 days. its sad, because she went from 105 lbs. to her current 71 lbs. she looks like a skeleton. the wife and i are just glad to have her back home.

ive got pics of the towel if anyone wants to see... :D

Lifted95X

The Xplorer U Luv to H8
Reaction score
City, State
EASTPOINTE, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.6 Mounty
I'm really sorry to hear that man. I hope everything gets better for you and your family.

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Very sorry to hear the news about your beloved pet :(. I am kind of short on time but I responded recently in another thread about a passed away family member, and all the sentiments are the same. I feel for ya buddy.

TPLYNCH

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brewster, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLS
Condolences to you and your family. Even a couple of years later, I still cry if I think about the day I put my cat to sleep. Just try and remember the good times. And don't rush out and get another pup. Take some time to grieve and get over your loss. Getting a "replacement" too soon may not be good for your family or that pup...

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
Sorry to hear about your friend. It was out of your hands, and no way was it your fault. Good luck finding another one.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Sorry to hear about your friend. It was out of your hands, and no way was it your fault. Good luck finding another one.

Well the very next day after I had dog put down my wife and son picked up a new puppy in Georgia. They surprised me when they flew home.

I had to give up my dog when we moved up here to Alaska it was a Keeshond. Well this puppy is not a pure bred Keeshond, but its pretty darn close. She knew I wouldn't have a fit since they got another Keeshond.

New Puppy

3a.jpg
32.jpg
2e.jpg
3c.jpg

onelasttry

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt 2wd 5 speed 2.3L
I determined i'd sell my vehicle to save my pup if needed. (i have a few fords, so it isn't like i'd be stranded). I hope the new pup helps things smooth over.

:chug: here's to the new pup.

Rest in Peace to the 'ol gal. :(