• Register Today It's free!

OHV 4.0L and manual trans?

foxridersco05

Reaction score
City, State
Manito, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger
What is your vehicle setup? I'm ultimately looking for an ECU, but I need one for an explorer with an OHV 4.0L and an m5od trans. I need to find someone who has the same setup that I plan to run.

'97 Explorer
OHV 4.0L
m5od 5 speed transmission
electric shift t-case
cruise control
manual locks
manual windows

If you own an Explorer with these options, I would love to have 1 of 2 pieces of information from you.

1) The ECU number. You'd need to pull the ECU which is located in the engine bay, on the firewall just above the rear of the engine.

or

2) The VIN number of your Explorer. I can take your VIN, call Ford, and they can tell me the ECU that I'd need.

So, what are ya drivin'?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got a 96 with an identical setup minus the cruise control, unfortunately its a few hundred miles away right now but I may be able to dig up the vin here.

I can live without cruise control. If you could find the vin that would be awesome!

I guess another question I could ask, is if this will work. Here's the long story:

Got the 97 Ex as a donor. It has the OHV 4.0 with a 5r55e trans, power everything (windows, locks, t-case, etc.) I pulled the 4.0, and am putting it in my Ranger with an m5od behind it. My ranger has manual everything, other than the cruise control and electric shift t-case.

That being the case, I figured I'd get an ECU that was for the 4.0, manual trans, and manual everything. Am I thinking straight here?

I hate to be the guy who gets anxious and bumps his thread hoping for answers, but I came here as a last ditch effort to find the correct information. I know you guys can pull through for me! Sooo....

Bump!

I couldnt find anything here, may be able to get to it or the filing cabinet with that info this weekend, I'll post back when I have more.

:biggthump

I searched ebay to see if there were any for sale with this setup - since they list the VIn in the listing. fail.

your in luck buddy i have that exact same setup 97' 4.0l OHV with the manual trans but mine has power windows and locks with cruise let me pull the ECU and ill post my Findings :)

here are all the numbers from my ECU
ML2-403 7B11 F77F-12A650-GC
67MB403B05 38342-67

hope these help if not ill post my VIN Number

Awesome! Thanks Jacob!

Now the question is, does it matter that your has power windows/locks and mine doesn't? Does the ECU control that stuff?

Gem?

Yes the gem module sits behind the radio off to the left side its a small black box that also controls the auto 4x4 switching

It's running! I ordered jacob's ECU and used it. Thanks for all the help guys.

Still open header right now. I've got a date with the exhaust shop weds to get the exhaust run. I'm sure it'll run a lot better with the o2 sensors hooked up. Still not to shabby the way it sits.

225165_582141104372_197102715_32437843_6791471_n.jpg

216434_582141079422_197102715_32437842_6185913_n.jpg

Back