Willcall

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wolfforth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4x2 | 20 XLT 4x4
1998 OHV V6, MY DD!

Okay I pulled my oil pan to replace the gasket and the old gasket left alot of the rubber behind and I scraped it clean.But as I go to put the new one on,
I find that the rubber tab on the rear passenger side of the old gasket had broken off flush with the metal. It acts like it is fused to the walls around it.
I've tried a razor knife, thumb tacks, small screws, and jewelry flat blade screw drivers
, but I was also being very cautious because I was afraid of damaging the sealing surface. It also appears that the metal is apart of the block.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you make out on this?
ive never had my oil pan off, so im curious.

I'm still trying To dig it out with a knife and screws. It only comes out in small pieces, so it's slow painful so far.

Pull the cap off.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "pull the cap off"?

Are you referring the the platic ring in the rear main cap?can you take a pics?

Well, I already put everything back together and I didn't snap any pics. I ended up cutting the new gasket to fit in the hole and used alot of RTV sealant.
It appeared to be made of metal and was on the passenger side of the hump that is at the rear of the of the oil pan. I couldn't find anyway to separate it from the rest of the engine.

Willcall....I need to do the same gasket replacement. I just want to confirm that you were able to drop the oil pan without removing any cross-members or lifting the engine. Also...did you replace/clean the oil pick-up tube/screen?

Motor need to be lifted and the pump pickup needs to come off to get the pan off and its STILL VERY tight.

Back