Ohv to sohc on ohv computer

Heath a

Reaction score
City, State
Oakland md
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Cant get it run we'll miss fires and stalls what senors neeneed changed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to use the SOHC pcm and related computers, I’d assume the programming is way different.

If I did a swap I’d have surely done the V8, and not put a troublesome motor in place of a reliable, albeit slightly anemic one.

Dad picked motor up for after hermonic balancer fell so I ended up sohc not ohv

Hopefully it’s low mileage and had regular oil changes. What year truck? What year motor?

What is going on in this thread?
You installed a sohc engine into a OHV engine truck?

You cannot do that! (as you are finding out)
The SOHC engine has an extra sensor on the valev cover, a cam position sensor. Also the SOHC engine has no Cam synchronizer, the OHV computer cannot run a SOHC engine.
You need more parts to make this work, basically a OHV to SOHC conversion
It says 98 Explorer in your signature, so your truck likely has PATS security. You will need quite a few parts from a donor sohc engine truck to make this work

Sounds like you might need to search for a clean 1997 4.0 SOHC powered truck that needs a good engine (~$300). Just service the rear secondary chain while the engine is out of the truck.

Well it's alive way more power need to clean up some but runs cam sensor is only code being sent have an idea on this but happy with victory
Ohv tranny
Ohv computer
Sohc engine

What is going on in this thread?
You installed a sohc engine into a OHV engine truck? I did and it runs way more power than ohv hope hermonic balancer does not fall off

You cannot do that! (as you are finding out)
The SOHC engine has an extra sensor on the valev cover, a cam position sensor. Also the SOHC engine has no Cam synchronizer, the OHV computer cannot run a SOHC engine.
You need more parts to make this work, basically a OHV to SOHC conversion
It says 98 Explorer in your signature, so your truck likely has PATS security. You will need quite a few parts from a donor sohc engine truck to make this work

I sent that shoc engine crap hahaha just kidding

It's funny how people don't want you to succeed with your shoc buuuut if it was a 5.0 you would have a endless thread of answers

Good on ya I think your the first to do this swap

??? Are you saying that you are Heath a?

I sent that shoc engine crap hahaha just kidding

It's funny how people don't want you to succeed with your shoc buuuut if it was a 5.0 you would have a endless thread of answers

Good on ya I think your the first to do this swap
He got answers the same day. The V8 swap is common because it is more beneficial than swapping a SOHC for anything. It’s been done way more so there’s way more input to be had. This swap HAS been done, it was just done correctly using the computer and proper wiring from the donor.

You need the SOHC computer for it to be right. Without the cam position sensor it’s running on a canned cycle the motor knows is “safe” instead of using actual feedback.

I thought of a badazz swap a few months back, a 4.0 OHV and OD auto and M II 8 inch diffy in to a Pinto. Do y'all think the Pinto is 1400 pounds lighter? Than a 4dr Explorer?

pinto01.jpg

this is available on Craigslist in nw Georgia

It does sound fun tho

I thought of a badazz swap a few months back, a 4.0 and OD auto and M II 8 inch diffy in to a Pinto. Do y'all think the Pinto is 1400 pounds lighter? Than a 4dr Explorer?
What would be the point? Seems like a lot of work for little gain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it's alive way more power need to clean up some but runs cam sensor is only code being sent have an idea on this but happy with victory
Ohv tranny
Ohv computer
Sohc engine
Get the proper "CALIBARTION" for your SOHC engine, without it, your leaving change on the table, alot of it.

Back